Thread: Jeep Th400 to an NP205 Adapter

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)

Jeep Th400 to an NP205 Adapter

The subject says most of it... I'm looking for an adapter to mate my TH400 to an NP205 (My ole' lady can't drive a stick so I had to change things up a little ... No more granny low).
    A buddy told me that they (Whom-ever they are) discontinued making these adapters... If so, I guess I have to make one... But, would anybody know if the Chevy Th400 to NP205 is the same adapter? The bolt patterns should be the same right? 6 bolt holes on one side and ? on the t-case side???
    Any help will be appreciated.

Bulltear forum member Swabie
    Yes its the same. You have to change the output shaft of the AMC TH400 to the chevy TH400/np205 shaft which was used with the adapter.

There are 3 styles (or more).

The hourglass adapter for the old np205 (imho just one style)

The round adapter for the newer np205, here you can get two different lengths, the short one is better

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic
    Good luck finding that...you can buy them on Ebay for around $300...to much if you ask me. Otherwise look for old chevy trucks 3/4 ton '87. Look in the glove box for the codes.

I just found a truck this spring with a the works, TH400 mated to a NP205 with a full float 14 bolt rear. They are out there in farms groves...

I'm NOT going to break at the pulls next year.

I might know of another down the road from that one, but I haven't stopped to look close or ask if it was for sale.
    If this new part can't break....what old part will??

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Yeah man... I've seen the prices for the adapters... I contacted offroad design and for under $500 shipped to my door they'll make an adapter for the 205 (And if I wanted I could toss on the 203 gearbox with no special adapters etc), they'll also include the output shaft (If needed) and extra goodies...

Gear Tech Heavy Duty at (601)898-4552 is making new 356-T6 heat treated adapters