Thread: t-18 tranny out of jeep pickup

t-18 tranny out of jeep pickup

im gonna be purchasing a t-18 out of a jeep pickup with dana 20 behind it...the jeep origanlly had a 360 in it what do i need to do as far as modifications to the tranny to get it to go in my cj with a 360....i was told the inpout shaft needed to be shortened??....if it came out of a jeep with a 360 going into a jeep with a 360 shouldnt it be the same....input greatly appreciated.....

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic
    If you keep the bellhouseing with the new tranny, i dont see where there would be an issue.
    It's true there were a few different length input shafts used on the T18, each for different applications.
    What tranny are you running now? You may need to change the pilot bushing. Mic the diameter of the T18 input vs. the diameter of the input on your tranny....and that will tell you.
    401cid, T18a/D300 twinsticked.
    Lifted, locked, and Swampered

"Its flat here...real flat. And the locals smell like potatoes."

im in the same process i just put the 360 in today. the tranny is not finish yet the imput shaft need to be 6.5 inchs to fit in a cj . im having my cut and resplined mikes jeep parts has a kit for 199.00 i have 2 centerforce clutches for a 1.8th inch shaft. his are a 1.16th inch shaft

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The truck/Wagoneer trannies had a BIG spacer (6-7") between the bellhousing and tranny, so the shifter wouldn't hit the dash. The bellhousing is also different to accept the spacer.

With the spacer in place, the shifters will be way too far back in a CJ. You will need a 76-79 CJ bellhousing (3 or 4 speed, they're drilled for both). The input shaft and bearing retainer need to be changed to the CJ short shaft. The t-case will also have a different shift linkage with a U shaped pattern. It can probably be used in a CJ, although I've never seen it. The CJ model 20 will bolt to the T-18, or you have to change the front output cover of the t-case to swap the linkage.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford