Thread: yj with a 360 & elec speedo options?

yj with a 360 & elec speedo options?

I just swapped in an AMC 360 to go with my ax-15 and np-231 what are my options to get my electronic speedo to work? I have the original wire that went to the speedo still going the from the VSS but the other two aren't currently connected to anything. Thanks!

derek

pretty sure the stock one runs off a signal of the pcm, which you don't have functioning anymore, so the stock one probably won't work. what year yj, xj, or tj (okay, maybe one of a handfull of zjs)is it and i'll look at the wiring diagram and signal waveform to know for sure.
    mike

bullets don't hurt, but the holes do.

VOTE BUTTON

I think it's a 93 or early 94 YJ drive train. Is it set up that the VSS recieves a voltage, say 5 vdc, from the pcm and the vss sends a pulse bck to the pcm and the speedo? I know the wire for the speedo goes right to the vss with going to the pcm first so if I could simulate what the pcm gives the vss I could do that. I can build electronics fairly easy, I just don't know for sure how this vss works.

The older YJ's have a speedo cable (thinking pre 4.0L here). They also had the 231 (just 21 input spline instead of the later 23). Wondering if they are indeed a square drive like the CJ cable. If so you could use a Autometer speedo (which fits the square drive cable) with the early YJ speedo cable/unit.

Just some thoughts, not sure if it'll work. But worth some exploration. :)

so your saying an earlier yj speedo cable will fit into the same mounting hole as the vss?

I wouldn't mind using an autometer, problem is still how are the three wires on the vss connected, obviously I know which is the signal wire for the speedo but with out some sort of voltage or ground on the other wires I don't see how even the autometer will work. If I'm wrong on that please tell because that would be great.

Re-read your post, would be too much work out.

Have you checked out Dakota Digital?

Yes a earlier YJ speedo will work. It should bolt in no problem. The speedo cable is the same square pattern as the CJ just the connector at the back of the speedo is different so you'll have to use a YJ cable. Now that I think about it you may also have to change the gear in T-case so as to received the cable. And yes 87-90 there were some 23 spline input NP231's. I know because I have one mated to the T-18.

hey all, thanks for the comments. I got the electric speedo to work with my carbed 360 without the computer. You just need +12vdc on th orange wire of the Speed sensor, ground on black and run the white/orange wire to the speedo! hope this helps someone!

good info, i am in a similar situation but in my 91YJ I swapped in 360/tf727 and a d300.. but not working for me yet.