Thread: Changing my 304 over to a GM HEI

Changing my 304 over to a GM HEI

I've got a 74 CJ5 with a 304. Im looking to changing the ignition to a GM HEI. I know that you can buy one of these units already setup for the AMC engine, but I have a GM HEI, and was wonder what changes are made to the distributor, and if this is something I could do myself,without having to buy one. Like most Jeepers,,,, Im a tight wad and like to do-it-myself. Any information is appreciated!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    If you've got a lathe and can weld aluminum, you can make it work. You need to machine the top off the GM distributor, the lower part from the AMC dist, then weld them together, cut the shaft to length, and machine it to fit the oil pump drive.

By the time you're done, it's probably cheaper/easier to buy this one: http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=30

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    I did a tfi conversion a coupple weeks ago on one of my 360's, I like it once I got my timing set, especially since I had most of the stuff and only had to spend $25 to do it.
    parting several FSJ'S

I did consider the TFI because it was cheaper way out, but since mine is the 74 still running the old point still, I would still have to change the distributor out to the duraspark for the TFI. And so i was going to go with the HEI for it simplicity. Thank for the reply though, Heck I have a tig welder and access to a lathe, if i can remember how to work the darn thing, it been a few years (more like 20yrs) when i took machine shop in college. But you know us type of guys, we'll try anything once just to brag about it later... ha ha. We are our own breed.

I did the eBay GM HEI distributor. It has made a large difference in power and engine responsiveness. However, a couple of months ago the cam distributor gear let go. Now, I'm in the process of replacing that gear, the timing gears/chain, oil pump kit, and had to drop the pan. I bought my new distributor gears from Bulltear and suggest that you get a matched set of gears before just putting your HEI in. Trust me, it may save you some time, money and frustration down the road.

Kertoncol,,,,,,,,, Thanks for the info. I had read about doing that on the bull tear web site. But since i also have been wanting to add fuel injection, I just decided to pull my ole reliable 304 and drop in a chevy 350. I already had the complete engine including ECM and wiring harness. Had to change out a few more componients like the headers, motor mounts, radiator, bell housing and presure plate, but was still cheaper than changing up my 304 to suit my needs. Kinda hated to give her up though. She was real health and NEVER let me down......... good luck with you project, you be going again in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by kertoncol
    I did the eBay GM HEI distributor. It has made a large difference in power and engine responsiveness. However, a couple of months ago the cam distributor gear let go. Now, I'm in the process of replacing that gear, the timing gears/chain, oil pump kit, and had to drop the pan. I bought my new distributor gears from Bulltear and suggest that you get a matched set of gears before just putting your HEI in. Trust me, it may save you some time, money and frustration down the road.

kertoncol - what brand distributer did you buy? I bought one from the company dragonfire and havenot installed it yet... wondering if i should replace the gear now before i put it in.

distrib

I purchased one the chinese made HEI,s on Ebay and it was great. Then about 2000 miles later the coil died in traffic on the CJ7. No problem with the gears though. My neighbor has a 67 Rambler convertible with a rebuilt 304 he wants to put an Hei in and he bought the same distrib and the gears lasted 10 minutes into the cam breakin process so he bought the matched gears from this site. He,s waiting a bit to install them but they look well made. If you can, buy an American made product, the quality will prob be much better.
    84 CJ 7 304, Arb rear, 35 BFG,s with a 2 1/2 spring lift only and to many other mods to list, plus a offroad trailer also on 35 BFG,s