Thread: Wanting to add power brakes to a CJ5

Wanting to add power brakes to a CJ5

Wanting put power brake on my 74 CJ5. Is there a vehicle that i can get the booster and Master cylinder from that will work, or is there other options. She currently still has the manual brakes, but I had changed out the axles a few years back. The front runs a scout 44 with ford nuckles(disk) and the rear runs a scout 44 with drums. Let me know

I bought a power booster and master cyl new from napa for a 81 cj5 for $155 I own a 80 jeep but they dont sell anything like that for 80 and below http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...aster+Cylinder

I had to customize the new master cylinder rod by welding the ring part that connects to the brake pedal with the old one off the manual brake master cylinder. I also had to drill new holes for mounting the power booster/master. It connected to my holley 670 truck avenger and works great, I think you need atleast 15 lb of vacuum to make that bad boy work

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The 74 has swinging pedals,doesn't it? (mounted under the dash rather than coming up thru the floor).

As long as you have swinging pedals, a master cylinder and bracketry from a 76-86 CJ should be adaptable. The power booster uses a bracket that spaces it out away from the firewall. I've heard the early (pre '74 ?) Wagoneers are the same also.

For top of the line stuff go to www.mpbrakes.com

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Yes it does have the swinging pedals. Is the 76-86 part a bolt up and run application (other that drilling a new hole or two) or am I going to have to do some modifications to the rod or anything.Thats one thing about my year model, it all was alittle different in 72-75.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I doubt it's direct "bolt up". You will need to drill some holes like you said, you'll probably need to modify the rod.

I had to modify the rod on mine just for the 'glass body. I just cut it near the pedal end, threaded it (i believe it's 1/2"), added a long coupler nut and a jam nut, so now it's adjustable. Been in there over 10 years with no problems.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    I have a 77 CJ5 with the factory power brakes, would some pictures help??
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Goose........ sure thing on the pictures, if you dont mind. I've always want to add the power brakes to her. Being 6'2" and you know a CJ5 (that ole seat just goes back SO FAR). Manual brakes make for a shaky leg when you find yourself in one of those precarious cituations.

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    ok I'll shoot some pics...(In the morning probably)
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Bulltear forum member Swabie
    Afaik the 74 bracket for the swinging pedals has a different bolt pattern then the newer ones. Must be adapted.