Thread: Wanting to change out 74 steering column

Wanting to change out 74 steering column

Has anyone with an older CJ5 (72-75) ever change out that steering column. Would like to go with something with maybe a tilt. Anyone got any ideas?

Bulltear forum member Swabie
    Youre running into the following troubles (did it).

1. the old column is more thin, you need to modify your dash
    2. the mounting of the old column is not fitting the new
    3. if you change the column bracket incl. pedals, they will not work because they stuck on the floor
    4. I had to change also the hole in the firewall (down), otherwise my steering wheel was 2 inches above my seat. Dont remember what i did or why it was like this at the beginning, just plan carefully and mae a test fit ... including steering wheel !!! ;)

Everything can be solved, it was a little bit more work then expected.

I welded the old pedal bracket into a new one, so you have a nice bracket for your new column and you still can use your original pedals.

Worked fine.

In the meantime i modified my floor and converted to the new pedals. Im very tall, the old style pedals where to close for me to drive comfortable and safe.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Is the key on the dash or column? I know the 76-up models use GM/Saginaw columns. They're a direct swap for a late 70s/early 80s small body rear drive GM cars (like the Monza or Sunbird). It might be a possibility for the 72-75.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bob.... my key is on the dash,,,,, I havent acually started this project yet and havent really look underneath there to see what all it would intale. But Tomcat made a good point with the pedal situation, I forgot that on that year model they are handing pedals. I was just wondering if it was a pliable option to change (only doing it for comfort reasons, I just dont like how high the column is) or am i fixing to bit off more than I can chew!!!

Bulltear forum member Swabie
    Like this i started. Just a new column and column mounted ign key ;)

BUt on the other side, its a fun fab project. Measure and plan carefully, if you change the angle of the column you have to check also for clearance of the steering shaft with the headers and motor mounts.

Texas Tigger, I did this with my 73 CJ5 and I used a Tilt Column out of a 87 Wrangler, I was in the process of putting on a Fiberglass body from 4wd so I did not have to cut a different hole cause I had to cut hole in firewall anyway. Pedals were not a problem but I did have to make a couple of brackets to mount column in. And as far as wiring goes I just used the wiring diagram from my 73 and a 87 and wired the ignition and turn signals in the column to get the key off of the dash and the High beams off the floor board. I did have to relocate the driverside shock mount a 1/2 inch cause the steering shaft was going to rub just a slight bit. All in all it was pretty simple to do but that may have been because I was replacing body and dash anyway. Like all have said just take your time and make sure your measurements are good and have fun with it. There really isn't much factory on my 73 CJ5 as it sits right now. I have converted to the much more up dated style..
    73CJ5,AMC360w/stainless valves, ported and polished,Offhauser Aluim Dualport Intake w/850 edelbrock Carb,10 to 1 Pistons and much more

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    I have a tilt colume from a(I think)85 Buick Skylark in my 48 willys. the swap wasn't to bad but you do have to fab up a mount for the floor. The Buick colume has 4 nutserts welded to it that can be used with a piece of flat steel to bolt it to the bottem of the dash. If you do try this make sure you get the U-joint(at the end of the colume) and part of the shaft from the rack,so you have something to attach you steering shaft to.

I went with this one to get a tilt colume without a gear select lever and a colume lock key switch, also the U-joint ended up right at the floor.
    IF IT STILL STARTS DO IT AGAIN!