Thread: Ring & pinion woes

Ring & pinion woes

80' CJ-5 Dana 30 with 3.73 gears. Well i stripped the ring gear this weekend. The problem is should i regear the front to 4.56's to match another rearend that i have with 4.56's or should i find a 3.73 R&P and just toss them in? Regardless i still have to regear but the rear would require me to swap the detriot, axles, and disc brakes to the other housing and also would require removal of the front to swap everything also. Does anybody have a good ring and pinion they would want to part with that fits a dana 30 that has 3.73's or better yet a set with 4.56's? If i buy new parts......do i get what i pay for? Cheap prices for cheap parts? I was thinking about going through Randy's but Motive gear has some cheaper sets. Need some guidence on this subject.. ........Thanks for any input!
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    It will cost you more to regear with 3.73s now and do the 4.56 later. Since you want the 4.56s, do it now. You can sell the 3.73 gears and diff later to recover some of the costs.

I bought my last couple of sets of gears from www.completeoffroad.com , they were selling genuine Dana/Spicer or Yukon for the same price. Most of the gears available are made in a couple of plants, and boxed under different names anyway.

The carriers you have are good for 4.56s, so if it were me, I'd get the 4.56s, regears both ends, and be done with it. A little more work and expense, but once done, I'd be happier.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

I had bad luck with motive gear in my d-70. Went to check the backlash in 4 positions and only 3 of the 4 were good. had to compromise to the tight spot to make it passable.

Hmm........i think ima either order a Yukon gear set from Randy's or a Superior set from Summit just to match the front and rear axles along with a Detriot Tru-Trac to match the Detriot in the rear.
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Just to show that you get what you pay for, I used Spicer gears up front and on a drop in wth original shims, all in spec.
    Btw, This is my Dodge truck with dana 60 front and 70 rear. I swapped from 4.10's down to 3.55's.