Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oiling Solutions

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

OILING MODS

I know where 82waggy is comming from on this. The valley area oiling mod is, in my opinion, more of a high rpm mod to keep the pressure and volume at the rear mains. For a street / off orad vehicle nor seeing high rpm it's not needed. Can't hurt either but the real benefit can not be utilized. I like the high capacity oil pan and also an oil cooler. Also a Bull Tear front cover with the pump end wear plate is a great improvement over the stock aluminum junk. In all the AMC's I have taken apart, I have never seen one that did not that the oil pump cavity and or the end cover gouged up. This is a prime area to lose pressure, gear to wall clearance and gear end to cover clearance. When these open up due to gouging the pressure goes south in a hurry.

Just my two cents.
    SPEED COSTS MONEY: HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?

Quote Originally Posted by a440plus6
    Quote Originally Posted by 82Waggy
    Deep sump pan and pickup tube is all that you need.

Just say no to the valley bypass line.
    Why No?
    Jerry
    I don't think it does anything.

The so called lifter bypass is a line hooked to opposite ends of the passenger side lifter gallery. It can add nothing to flow since pressure is the same at both ends.

Consider that flow through the main bearings is governed by close tolerances. The lifter gallery that feeds the main bearing feed paths is already large enough to out flow them.

The way to increase flow through the main bearings is to either increase their clearances or increase system pressure. Simply increasing the volume of the paths ahead of the bearings by adding the bypass line will do nothing for flow through the bearings.

Some think that if the bearings become worn (increased clearances) that the bypass line can help flow the additional oil needed, but pressure will have dropped system wide, including through the bypass line - time to replace bearings.

IMO the bypass line is some shade tree mechanics idea of a fix to a problem he did not understand. What is needed is a properly functioning oil pump and a well maintained engine.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic
    Thanks for the explanation, very plausible.
    I'm not used to the "small" quirks of AMC engines yet and I think you have clarified that one for me.......
    Thanks
    Jerry