Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 401 wont crank

401 wont crank

Alright guys, I am not sure where to go with this

before I rule out the obvious

I will start here

I have fuel, carb probally needs a rebuild after sitting for a while

I have spark

I started retracing my steps when I was rebuilding the motor to figure out If I had done anything odd or missed a step

I built this using a great book/soft copy of

BJ Builds An AMC

well I get into the section where it starts talking about installing Cam/Timing gears/Drive gear

I did everything by the book so I thought

I didnt retard or advance the timing so I set the lower gear on the zero mark

this is the step that I got ahead of myself, I honestly didnt pay attention to this. I slid the chain, and gears on as a complete unit

[next step says engage the chain while trying to line up the timing gear marks. The mark on the lower gear should be closet to the mark on the upper gear. Then slide the gear on the cam snout. Look at the gear alignment closely. Make sure the marks are in a straight line with the cam and crank. If it's off, then remove the cam gear, skip the chain a tooth and re-install it. One tooth off is bad news!]

Did I screw myself or what?

So you don't know if the timing marks on the timing gears were lined up or not?

Man, I am so glad I invested in the cam degreeing kit and took the time to use it. After what happened with our engine on the first rebuild, it was well worth the peace of mind knowing the timing was right, especially when you think of the damage that can result from it being wrong.

I hope yours is just off enuff that it won't start and didn't do any damage. I'd pull the timing cover and check the timing gears.

Another easy thing to check is if you may just be 180 degees off on the distributor. Is it popping or trying to start or trying to do anything?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Sorry to say that the marks aren't lined up when the chain/gears come out of the box. If the marks aren't aligned properly, then the cam timing is off and it will never start.

Best bet is to pull the timing cover and verify that the marks are aligned. Too much cranking isn't good for a new cam. If you've cranked it a lot, you should probably pull the lifters and re-coat the lobes and bottoms of the lifters with assembly lube.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

I thought that it might be 180 out also, but when I found top dead center to number 1 the first time it was 180 out

reason I know this is because when trying to crank it it was pouring gas out of the manifolds when the exhaust valves were open

that would make it out 180 right?

It has yet to crank and run so maybe no damage was done, cross my fingers

looks like the timing cover is coming back off this weekend

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    Umm, do you really mean to say it does crank but will not fire?

exactly

Quote Originally Posted by guffey24
    looks like the timing cover is coming back off this weekend
    The weekend! C'mon, don't tell us you're gonna keep us in suspense that long. Open that baby up and find out what's going on.

yeah I am healing right now, last sat the t-19 came off the tranny jack onto my fingers

tried to catch it, still trying to figure out why I thought I could catch a 200lb transmission falling about 2 ft

they basically had to sew this one back on the left hand, it blew out on both sides just like a tractor trailer tire on the interstate, crushed it nicely

DAM! that must have been painful. Hope your on smoething, for the pain I mean

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I know that pain.

I smashed/blew out the pinkie on my right hand stacking rocks for a friend in Moab. Took about 4 hours to get from where we were to the emergency room (and I had to drive/shift my Jeep). Doctor at the hospital couldn't believe the bone wasn't broken, given the amount of damage.

It's been over 3 years, and I still have serious scarring, and quite a loss of motion in that finger.

I feel for you.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford