Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 401 wont crank

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    OWWWW Frickin Owww!!

Why is it that our body's otherwise finely tuned survival instinct do that..I have done similar stupid things..

isnt it nice that your nervous system has that built in delay..you know to give you time to see what you just did and to fully realize just how friggin bad it is going to hurt in a second..
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Alright guys, I stripped the whole front part of the motor and guess what I found

my timing gears where not even close to being lined up, I am talking 5 to 6 chain links off from lining up

It aint no wonder I couldnt get it to fire

I havent put anything back on yet except for the timing cover, is there anything else I should check, or do you guys think I should be okay for now

Somehow I missed your most recent post until now, and I've been anxious to hear how you are making out. I hate to say it, or even think it, but I'd be worried if you bent any valves. Which direction was it off, advanced or retarded?

This cam stuff still confuses me, but if I'm picturing it correctly, if you were retarded (well, you know what I mean, not you, but your cam), you stand a better chance of not having messed up your valves. If you were off in the advanced direction though, and had the intake valve open too far at TDC, you might be in trouble.

Some of the more experienced guys in here can chime in and agree or correct me though.

The other thing I wondering is how you'd tell if you did any valve damage short of pulling the heads off. A leak test? A compression test?

After having just gone thru an year long nightmare myself, I sincerely wish you luck and send up a prayer for you. Keep us posted.

She runs

everything seems to be good

I will keep you posted

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by guffey24
    yeah I am healing right now, last sat the t-19 came off the tranny jack onto my fingers

tried to catch it, still trying to figure out why I thought I could catch a 200lb transmission falling about 2 ft
    I feel your pain brother - I had a T-5 with the Dana 300 on it try and fall on me and ripped my shoulder muscles Feb 2006 Shoulder still bothers me
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

I have an issue that is concerning me reguarding the oil pressure

I have only cranked the Jeep twice, as I want to make sure everything is okay

here is a little build info

I installed a new oil pump, with the rebuild, I used the old sending unit, I packed the new oil pump gears with vasoline as described in BJ builds an AMC. I am using 15w40 Shell rotella and 1 bottle of Lucas oil treatment for cam break in

My oil pressure gauge has buried both times I cranked it

over 100 psi

what could the trouble be

bad sending unit?
    faulty aftermarket electric gauge?

should I run a mechanical oil gauge?

Or should I look for something internal, I hope not

You gotta get your terminology straight with this "crank" thing. Again, crank means turning the crankshaft by means of the starter. Running the engine means having it actually start and continue to run on it's own power (gas).

What spring did you use in the oil pump? Fuzz can tell you a lot more detail on this, but there is a heavier spring you can use to increase the oil pressure. I believe Fuzz even blew some oil filters apart, but I'll let him elaborate.

it started and ran on it's own

sorry about that George

the oil pressure thing is really bothering me, I used a red supposedly HD spring

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    My amx would do the same thing after I installed the red heavy spring & was using 10w40 castrol. Now I have the stock spring, bulltear nickel cover & pump gears (hrc cut), and I am using brad penn grade 1 10w30 oil and I see no higher than 70 when cold 65 when warm with an autometer pro-comp mechanical gauge.
    he who dies with the most toys wins!!!
    69' amx 390 4 speed best et 11.85 @ 116mph
    VOTEBUTTON

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Had a similar issue, but 0 oil press. Scared the crap outta me!!! I put in a mechanical (plumbing) and the same set up Brek has witht he red spring and I'm just a little less, 60-65 cold idle and 45-50 warm.
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE