Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U-joint issues

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Ok maybe I have had it wrong all these years but here goes..you have to have some angle on a u-joint or the needles in the caps do not rotate, If they dont they soon get flat spots and poof dust.. If that joint is close to 0 angle..the pinon side of the joint could be zero..I would throw a set of shims under it and see if a degree or two doesnt help..
    The only thing I know for sure about drivelines and thier mystical angles etc..Is just about the time I think I understand it, everything I thought I knew turns out to be wrong and I should have done some absurd ass backwards thing that I was sure was wrong..

That yoke being tweaked would be a tough deal..with out pulling it and putting it on a known flat surface it would be tough to tell.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Yea Goose.....you do make a good pointbut im going to swap out the rear for another 20 with 4.56's, superior shafts, disc brake and a detriot because 3.73's suck and a slightly twisted axle tube and i have no clue how that whould have happened hahaha........yea right
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    hmmm twisted axle tube...yup must have been a manufacturing defect!!
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

And yet another one bites the dust......switched yokes this time and notice that my brand new pinion bearings are toast and my rear is for some odd reason 1qt low?? It dont leak so i have no idea where it all went too.......but i suspect the pinion bearings are the culprit as a u-joint fits perfectly in the odd yoke and moves freely with tightened u-bolts.
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

This might sound retarded but for some reason unknown to me my trans mount was loose, which caused my trans to move around, right, well i think it was the reason why my u joints were going so much, "turning to dust". I red loctited my bolts and haven't broke one since. Those straps to hold the ujoints in place are really bad, i use a one piece strap which have bolts on the back of the yoke and haven't screwed up a joint yet.

Motor and Trans mount are both brand new and good shape yet....i opted for stock replacements to take out some of the vibe you get from poly mounts.