Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
130 Amp 3G Alternator Upgrade - Easier than 2 alternators !

Thread: 130 Amp 3G Alternator Upgrade - Easier than 2 alternators !

130 Amp 3G Alternator Upgrade - Easier than 2 alternators !

Because the electric fan I am going to be using in our Gremlin has a 30 amp draw and I plan on other upgrades like a stereo and maybe a upgraded ignition, I knew my 40 amp alternator wasn't going to be able to keep up so I have upgraded to a 3rd generation ( 3G ) 130 amp alternator. If anyone is interested in doing this conversion too, PM or e-mail me and I can set you up with an alternator and wiring. It can also be installed with a single pulley or as pictured with a double pulley. I see several posts here about people adding a second alternator. This setup makes more power than 2 factory AMC alternators.

Theres another alt. that will work in place if the stock AMC. It's from a 87 El Camino with a 6cyl, 93 amp GM only 60 sum bucks from Advance Auto or a lil bit more from NAPA but Auto Zone was like 90 for some odd reason Dont forget they all price match but one thing you have to do to the alt is to take the 4 bolts the hold the "halves" together and twist it 180 degrees to get the wires to the top posistion and its all gravy!
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    pic doesn't work

A0M797X112187 - if you have some more pics and info please email me at vic.b@shaw.ca THANKS!

76-cj7 - interesting info, i will see if this works, might be able to get a good alt for cheap.

I am using a 140amp aftermarket and a stock delco 60amp alternator and I like having the backup if one should die I just flip a switch and go back to work.

I found the wiring for one of these 3G's at http://www.bcbroncos.com/3ginstall.pdf
    for anyone interested. The only change that looks like you would need is the pulley and maybe some bracket work

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Interesting ... 76 if you have a site or spec's for the ALT go ahead and post them up

Ironman - does that ALT have the internal regulator?

I've got dual E-fans on the CJ and also want some tunes and extra lights to go along with the 12K winch and (soon) dual Optimas.
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

i think its internal. look at the diagram in the link. its wired similar to the 10si.

Bump. Does anyone have the info from A0M797X112187? This looks like a perfect upgrade for me.

search google for the 3g wiring diagram. Its wired almost the same as the gm alternators.