Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Roller Rocker on stock head with no machining?
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roller Rocker on stock head with no machining?

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum

Roller Rocker on stock head with no machining?

I've done some searching and some reading and more corn-fussed than ever.

My question: Can a person install a set 1:6 (stock) roller tipped rockers on a stock, post 80's AMC 360 head,
    without a trip to the machine shop?

If so, what vendor/brand/part numbers?

I've read where roller tipped 1:6 rocker are provide zero HP gains over the stock OE units.
    While I may believe this is true, I do feel anything a person can do to increase efficiency is a good thing.
    My thoughts are, increasing efficiency should let the engine run smoother, easy starts, increase gas mileage, etc...
    Bryan Smith
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    - 5.7 HEMI powered
    1982 Jeep J10
    - Progress toward road-worthiness is being made!
    1981 Jeep J20
    - Commercial flat bed - Long term Project: RUST! Long term project (RUST!)

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)
    Understanding is that Harland Sharp sells full roller rockers, not just roller tipped, that are a direct bolt on for the bridged rocker heads put they can be a little pricey, Part #SH40046A. Someone on the defunct AMCForums was a dealer and gave better pricing. Not aware of roller tipped rockers being available that will replace stock bridged pieces. Maybe some else here knows of some.

They even include a picture of a Hornet on thier new homepage

http://www.harlandsharp.com/
    '69 AMX #11,856 BSO/Saddle 343-4V Auto Go-Pak A/C Leather
    http://home.fuse.net/ckthomas/AMXSIG5.jpg

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by AMX69PHATTY
    they can be a little pricey
    Okay, that's the cold water I needed thrown on me.
    I am officially humbled now.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...4&autoview=sku
    Rocker Arms, Bolt-On Series, Pedestal Mount, Full Roller, Long Slot, Aluminum, Orange Anodized, Kit
    $512.95

Summit states this as part number CSP-SV4004.
    Bryan Smith
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    - 5.7 HEMI powered
    1982 Jeep J10
    - Progress toward road-worthiness is being made!
    1981 Jeep J20
    - Commercial flat bed - Long term Project: RUST! Long term project (RUST!)

That's probably not such a bad deal relative to the stud mounted rockers.

By the time you machine off the bosses and clearance the head for studs and guideplates and purchase the parts you will have spent about the same if not more than the pedestal mount system costs.

I think the Harland Sharp stud mounted rockers are running about $290 a set now. Will cost around 125 for machining, 50 for guideplates, and 50 for ARP studs = 515 to get er done this way.

Some have the early heads with slotted pushrod penetrations and therefore elect to forego the guideplates, but that limits pushrod alignment and diameter options.

Either way, it is not a cheap upgrade.

As an aside, I now have more $ in my 090 castings than a set of new Edelbrocks costs, and I've slept in a Holiday Inn Express before !
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

While it's debatable if roller rockers will give your more power or at least less parasitic drag, what they WILL do is prolong valve guide life as they reduce the side loading of the valve stems against the guides.

Regardless of what some rocker makers might say, you do NOT want ones with bearings, bushings are better in this instance because the rocker doesn't rotate 360 degrees. No need to trust me on this one, do some research and I think you'll find what I say is true.

Bushed Rocker Arms for AMC

What manufacturer for bushed AMC rocker arms do you know of - recommend ?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    The problem is the 5/16" stock bolt for the bridged rocker heads.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic
    While it's debatable if roller rockers will give your more power or at least less parasitic drag, what they WILL do is prolong valve guide life as they reduce the side loading of the valve stems against the guides.
    I have always heard that the power gain is from less flex of the rocker itself, resulting in extra lift of the valve=more power of course.

The problem is the 5/16" stock bolt for the bridged rocker heads.
    Isn't this why they came up with rocker stud girdles for Chevys? less flex of the drive train. PAW carries them for AMC's if I remember right.

Comp. Cams carries a few differnert styles of rockers, one is a stainless set for $407...http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Category_Code=

Now this is assuming you have a big cam with heavy spring pressures.
    I have stock rockers on my 360 that I ran years ago and turned 6000rpm all the time with pretty hefty springs and cam. So stock can be done...depends on want you are doing.
    If this new part can't break....what old part will??

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    well in addition to the small block Chevy stud girdles minimzing flex.. the Studs on a SBC are pressed into the head and a stud girdle will keep them in the head.. (yes i know they have been tapping them and screwing them in for years..not my point.)

Many years ago a young kid brought this small block powered sand rail to me and said, the cam was wearing the lobes off?? when I asked what he meant and if there were metal shavings etc.. he said no... Pulled it down and sure enough the big ol' valve springs and binding rockers had pushed the studs up about a 1/4 " thus the "flat cam and clattering rockers" even though he adjusted them and they were fine for a week..
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic
    Thats why I'm not a chevy man...only have messed around with AMC's.

But now I find the need to use Chevy drivetrain...
    If this new part can't break....what old part will??