Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Amx rear gear and tires

Thread: Amx rear gear and tires

Amx rear gear and tires

I’m getting ready to change the rear gear set on my ’69 Amx. It used to be an auto car. Now it has a T-10 in it. But I still have the 3.15 rear gears in it. With 26-inch tires.

It’s a mildly built 390 that I drive on the street with an occasional trip to the track.
    I was thinking of putting a 3.54 gear set in it, but then I thought why not put a 3.73 set in it and get a set of 28 inch tires for the street and use my 26’ for the track.
    Sounds brilliant.
    Will it work?
    Can I fit a set of 28-inch tires on the back of the car? What size? (15-inch rims).
    Anyone got a better idea with out shelling out $3000 for a gear vendor unit?

Thanks

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)
    I've ran 3.73's for about 20 years in my '69 AMX auto with
    255/60/15's on the rear, ~27" dia., and 26" slicks at track.
    Top speed is ~110mph at 6000 rpm with the slicks at the line.
    With the street tires speed is about double the tach.
    65 mph is about 3250 rpm's.
    It's a little steep, but I don't "travel" in the car and
    when needed it jumps from a stop sign / light
    28" tires might fit if the rim offset is deep enough.
    I have 15x8 Mag 500's with 4-1/2 back spacng
    and have more than 1" clearance with the leaf spring.

'69 AMX #11,856 BSO/Saddle 343-4V Auto Go-Pak A/C Leather
    http://home.fuse.net/ckthomas/AMXSIG5.jpg

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com
    I run 28 inch slicks on the back of my '69 AMX. However, we had to clearance it a bit. It is tightest at the bottom, and a 28 inch slick will grow some at speed, unless its a radial type. I think 27 inches is about all you can go with stock wheelwells. More gear is almost always a plus at the track as long as you can hook! I run 4.30's in my car, but I don't travel far in it.