Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Starting a new project.

Thread: Starting a new project.

Hybrid View

Starting a new project.

Got some body damage due to a brake booster failure at Apple valley Farms in Chetek WI this past weekend......

So, my plan is to shed some sheet metal. I'd like to take the box off and build a cage to house my fuel cell, radiator and a toolbox. the plan then, is to build a cage around the cab, and I'm thinking that dove-tailing the front end and extending the cage foreward from the cab to a push bar. I've seen lots of rigs like this and think it would be really cool.

So, questions:

What is the ideal size tubing for this type of work?

Where in minnesota (MC's neck of the world) do I go to buy the steel supplies I need?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    LOL Apple valley huh...you must have slid into trees there. Check local boneyards for patches. Ford trucks are everywhere out here.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    You can get your tubing from gerlux (spell check) in minneapolis, or winnick steel in forest lake.
    he who dies with the most toys wins!!!
    69' amx 390 4 speed best et 11.85 @ 116mph
    VOTEBUTTON

Do you know if Winnick's is open on saturdays?

Also, any recomendations as to what diameter and wall thickness I should use?

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    They are open 8:00am-3:00pm on saturday's, here's their phone# (651)464-3920. I am not sure on the diameter or thickness of tubing you will need although the way I see it, the bigger the better
    he who dies with the most toys wins!!!
    69' amx 390 4 speed best et 11.85 @ 116mph
    VOTEBUTTON

Well, I did some looking, and Poison Spyder uses 1.75" .120 wall DOM tubing for everything on their brusier chassis. I would imagine that they would know best what size is a good balence between weight and stregnth.

So, that's what I'll look for.

I had the idea of using a couple steel window wells (for recessed basement windows) as removable fenders.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Hows your project coming??

Why not prefabed trailer fenders from Northern or the like?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...=6970&N=166839
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Work in progress: