Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
towing my jeep....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: towing my jeep....

towing my jeep....

how much of a towing capacity to i need to tow the jeep on a trailer....is a 4500 towing capacity enough??? im looking to buy a truck for a DD but i would like to to haul my jeep to

Not nearly enough. Even a super light comp buggy and aluminum trailer is 4500 pounds (remember that you have additional gear with you).

I tow with an 02 CTD 3/4 ton. My trailer is registered as 7K pounds. Jeep is about 4K therebouts.

thats what i thought

well with a nothing to specail trailer and my cj 7 amc 360 and 35inch tall tires....the new dakotas with the v8 dodge claims 7,150lbs towing capacity...that should be enough...?????i dont really want to buy a full size truck but i want the ful size towing capacity i guess

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    My Jeep (CJ7) loaded with trail gear weighs about 3800 lbs. My 18' trailer weighs about 1700. That's 5500. Remember that any gear that you put in the tow rig counts as load also.

I towed for years with a Suburban (5.7L, automatic), which was rated at 6500. It did fine in the flatland, but struggled in the hills. I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD now, Duramax/Allison. I think it's rated to tow 10,500. I've pulled a 12,000 triple axle trailer with a load balancing hitch. What a pleasure to tow with. Set the cruise and go.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    well the problem is what it will pull the problem is if the towed wieght exceeds the tow vehicle wieght by a lot you are goign to have control issues.. a cherokee will pull 7500 pounds but it wont stop it or control it. the closer to the theoretical "maximum" you get the more critical doing everything just right becomes ( wieght balance speed etc) didn't we have a thread showing the to wreck one of our guys had using a full size waggie pulling a tj on a trailer??
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

I know you said you don't want a fullsize, but you should really consider a used Dodge with a Cummins. I have an extended cab 4x4 and rarely ever get less than 17mpg. I typically see 13 towing. It sure does better than gas. My friend has an identical Dodge with a 360. He gets 13 mpg tops and 9 towing.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    Remember U can tow almost anything, it's stopping that the factor or should I say, pucker factor .
    84' CJ8-360-Project M170 Jeep
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep
    Project CJ8 to M170 Conversion<----Click

well i sold my car and i know i didnt want a ful size....but this is what i came home with......

Exellent choice if i don't say so myself!!
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!