Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
U joint strap

Thread: U joint strap

U joint strap

Ive been going through U-Joint straps pretty frequently, The bolt is getting sheared off and both straps are bending. It always happens when Im driving normally, Ive heard of ditching the straps and bolts and going with a 1 piece u bolt and drilling out the holes in the yoke to modify it in. Anyone have success with it? Is it capable of handing daily driving?
    100%RHINOLINED,AMC360,D300,D60F&R,35"BFG MT, 6"^,Breaks down every chance it gets. My lady calls it the Death Star
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2431277

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    That means your yoke is tweaked. A new yoke or the ujoint bolt style straps will help.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I'd second replacing the entire yoke. You can only drill the old one if the back faces are machined flat, some are machined, some are just the cast surface. The nuts won't sit flat on the cast, so they'll work loose, and you're back at square one.

Check the u-joint for bind, and check both sides of the yoke for shiny rub spots. A lot of times when the straps stretch and bolts break, it's because the yokes touch when the suspension droops.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    That's what a mill and 7/16 mill are for, to make sure it's all good
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    I would get a new yoke with u bolts and be done with it. They're significantly stronger than straps.

I got 2 new yokes with the u bolts. Did a fat burnout, so far so good >$100 from thejeep.com
    100%RHINOLINED,AMC360,D300,D60F&R,35"BFG MT, 6"^,Breaks down every chance it gets. My lady calls it the Death Star
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2431277