Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: exhaust for amc 401 in CJ7

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie

CJ exhaust

I tried to keep my CJ a little quieter than previously run fender well exit headers and "torque tube" mufflers. (So I could drive it for a few hundred miles at a time w/o ear plugs...)

What I have now sounds great and is not too obnoxious.

I'm running Edelbrock shorty headers w/2.25" pipe back into a Series 50 Flowmaster muffler w/two 2.25" inlets and one 3" outlet. Therefore, no low hanging crossover in front of the skid plate and a clean single 3" out towards the back. Sounds good and throaty behind the 401!

Unfortunately, I no longer have the part number for the muffler, but it seems like it was for a Chevy truck application. And no I'm not running the muffler backwards! It's meant for this configuration.

Fits great under an 8 and the shop I had bend it does put them in 7's too, but it's a little tighter.
    401 CJ-8
    472 Caddy Powered J Truck
    85 SJ
    46 CJ-2A
    64 Flattie Wagon w/4.0L Fuelie

For my dual exhaust, I run the stock exhaust manifolds with no crossover pipe into dual resonators (nice and round, small with no edges to get caught on stuff), and 2 tailpipes with turndowns. Run a 727 and the exhaust is tight, but fits, and is above the framerail. I would however like to have a crossover pipe, but it doesn't look viable.

On a side note, what are y'all running for muflers. My resonators are a bit loud, and I think I may want to tone it down a bit. :)

Re: CJ exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by 46flattie
    I tried to keep my CJ a little quieter than previously run fender well exit headers and "torque tube" mufflers. (So I could drive it for a few hundred miles at a time w/o ear plugs...)

What I have now sounds great and is not too obnoxious.

I'm running Edelbrock shorty headers w/2.25" pipe back into a Series 50 Flowmaster muffler w/two 2.25" inlets and one 3" outlet. Therefore, no low hanging crossover in front of the skid plate and a clean single 3" out towards the back. Sounds good and throaty behind the 401!

Unfortunately, I no longer have the part number for the muffler, but it seems like it was for a Chevy truck application. And no I'm not running the muffler backwards! It's meant for this configuration.

Fits great under an 8 and the shop I had bend it does put them in 7's too, but it's a little tighter.

Where are you crossing over and going two into one???

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie

Re: CJ exhaust

[quote="1980_Cj7

Where are you crossing over and going two into one???[/quote]

At/in the muffler. This muffler is set up for (2) 2.25" pipes in and (1) 3" out. I have one 2.25" that comes relatively straight back from the driver side header into the muffler. The passenger side header to muffler pipe runs along the T-case above the skid plate and crosses up/over the rear driveshaft just behind the T-case output and then 90's into the 2nd 2.25" inlet of the muffler. Out the back of the muffler w/3". The muffler is hung under the driver side near the stock 6 cyl location.

Scott
    401 CJ-8
    472 Caddy Powered J Truck
    85 SJ
    46 CJ-2A
    64 Flattie Wagon w/4.0L Fuelie