Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
the right carb?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the right carb?

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum

the right carb?

what would work better for my off road jeep with a mildly built 304 a holley 600 with vacuum secondaries or a 500 edelbrock performer. I would need to switch to offroad needles in either one but which will work better/ easier to tune. I know the edelbrocks are significantly cheaper but there is more support for the hollerys

South of Santa Fe, West of Texas, North of WIPP.
    I had nothing but trouble with a Holley on a 360 in my 82 J10. I bolted on an Edelbrock 650, adjusted the idle and drove away. The engine never ran better. Big power. I was suprised there was so little to tweak to get it to run

Broke the diff. Oops! Probably not directly related...
    "Poor New Mexico, so far from Heaven, so close to Texas."
    Territorial Govenor Manuel Armijo, 1841

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)
    Edelbrock's are less tempermental, touchy, and troublesome
    than Holley's, but Holley's outperform if they get tuned in.
    They're so tuneable it's both good and bad.
    Although Edel's are probably better for off-road.
    Read an on-line article where a Quadra Jet outperformed all others for off-road.
    '69 AMX #11,856 BSO/Saddle 343-4V Auto Go-Pak A/C Leather
    http://home.fuse.net/ckthomas/AMXSIG5.jpg

I've got a 570 Street Avenger on my 304 in my heep and love it.....no stalling problems up hil or down hill always idles smooth and starts up fine.
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Can't tell you in the Edelbrock, I've never run one off-road.

I ran a vacuum secondary Holley 600 for years before going to EFI (first on a radically built 304, then on a mild 360). With the off-road float bowls (spring loaded floats) and needles, slosh tubes, and whistles, it ran reasonably well. I had a problem that if I lowered the floats to a point that it wouldn't flood when the front dropped suddenly, it would starve for gas when it was extremely nose down. I used it in a rock crawler.

I went EFI as soon as I could afford it, and have never looked back.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    I might go to edelbrock. the holley I have is very tempermental and seems to be alergic to the highway and town. seems everytime i take her to town or down the highway it ends up off and the next time i take it out i have to fight with it.

If it were me, I'd go with the 470cfm Truck Avenger.

I've wheeled with several people using Edelbrock performers and they just don't do well off road.

I ran a Truck Avenger on my old 85 Grand Wagoneer and it was just about as smooth as fuel injection at any angle I could put it. Sure, it was a bit temperamental but for off road, I wouldn't go with any other carburetor.
    1977 AMC Jeep Cherokee: 360/TH400/1339/44/44 - Beavis
    1984 AMC Jeep CJ7: 401/SM465/AtlasII/44/9" - Grimm Jeeper
    1986 Chevy K20: 5.3/4L60/NP241/10b/14b - Tow Rig
    2004 Pontiac GTO: LS1/T56/M80 - :D

Try out my gear ratio calculator (Now in metric)

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Yep this is one of those questions.. Opinions ?/ oh yea everyone has them.. truth is either carb is fine.. If you get a good one. most of the complaints for either brand are due to poor tuning or expecting one brand to do something the other wont.. face it, a carb is a bowl of gasoline sitting on top of the engine, and thats the limiting factor right there.
    For me the fact that unless you totally screw up, the Edel will get you home. it is easy to tune and it CANT leak,, it is a one piece bowl with a lid on it. the only gasket is on the top cover.
    and it tunes without taking it apart.. (meterng rods , step up springs, vacuum secondary springs etc) are all changed externally. the Holley is a good carb but they have about 40 places to leak either vacuum or fuel..and until you have trouble on the side of the road it is hard to explain the difference.
    you can take the Edelbrock apart without replacing gaskets. the Holley not always. the one advantage of the Holley is that you cand find parts for them everywhere.(And yea I know they said they fixed the power valve blow out problem..but I still see them blown all the time. now no one checks them since "they fixed that")

Edelbrock bolt it on and forget it. the
    Holley tinker tinker tinker.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    im running a edelbrock 500CFM on my 360, i rejetted it to around where their 600 cfm carbs are, From the info i gathered the 500 and 600s are basically the same. I was wondering what tuning combos people were running

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)
    just as ref, understanding is,

manual choke edels come jetted richer than electric choke edel's, that can be a little on the lean side
    '69 AMX #11,856 BSO/Saddle 343-4V Auto Go-Pak A/C Leather
    http://home.fuse.net/ckthomas/AMXSIG5.jpg