Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
headers for amc v8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: headers for amc v8

headers for amc v8

i want out of my fender well headers...they are just to loud and were cool at first now there annoying...i really want the edelbrock shorties but the 350 dollar price tag sucks...who else make a shortie header or equivelant or am i stuck with the edelbrocks

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Get the (and we havent listed them yet) Edelbrock shorties with the Ti coating. They are around $100 cheaper than the ceramic.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

im thinking those are the ones to get...

I run the hooker competion headers (in frame), they are cheap, dont hang down too low and just fit great. I have had mine 10+ years with no problems. I do run copper gaskets.

Teach a newb here....

How far do the shorty headers stick out? I want something that's tucked in as close to the motor as possible (almost a direct replacement for the stock exhaust manifolds.)

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The Edelbrock shorties are a direct replacement for the 71-86? free flow manifolds. They'll bolt to the stock exhaust. 87?-91 they changed the driver side to a rear dump, so you'd have to do some mods if that's what you have.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by tufcj
    The Edelbrock shorties are a direct replacement for the 71-86? free flow manifolds. They'll bolt to the stock exhaust. 87?-91 they changed the driver side to a rear dump, so you'd have to do some mods if that's what you have.

Bob
    tufcj
    I have a 72.

Purchased Doug Thorley headers look awsome. Will have engine finished as soon as I get the rest of my parts. Thorleys are complete just add muffler and a little bit of pipe.

Bulltear forum member Cook
    Are there any advantages/disadvantages for shorties as far as hp and torque opposed to full length? I'll be putting a 360 in my CJ-7 very soon and am curious about these as well. I'd like to run the exhaust in frame also.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Welcome to Bulltear Baloo.

A few years ago, due to smog laws, I was forced to go from fenderwell headers back to stock manifolds (Edelbrock shorties weren't out yet). I did have a custom 3" single exhaust built with a free-flow cat and Magnaflow muffler. Quiet in the cab, nice deep growl outside, especially around 3000 RPM. I can honestly say I saw no loss in the normal RPM range (up to about 4500), and maybe even some increase just off-idle. There is a slight loss above 4500, but my RV style cam runs out about there anyway. The loss is barely noticable, and my Jeep is built for rock crawling, so off-idle is most important to me anyway.

If you can afford the shorties, I'm sure they'll be better than stock manifolds, but I'm told the stock manifolds flow about 90% of what headers will, and they seldom leak, so they aren't a bad option if you go that route.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford