Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "JunkYard" - SIX SPEED std. Transmission for AMC 3

"JunkYard" - SIX SPEED std. Transmission for AMC 3

Remember:

A JEEP 4.0 Transmission 'BOLTS ON' TO an AMC 360/401.

The 'Rubicon' 4.0 6 spd std. Trans. is a Mercedes / DCx item -
    so the Bellhousing will mate ?? other M-B / DCx transes ?

http://tinyurl.com/22sghr

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I'm thinking the 6 speed manual is only offered in the newer Rubicons that have the 3.8 V-6. If that's the case, The bell housings are different.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Correct-ehY-Mundo Fly_Swatter

Last 4.0 was 2001 -

a 4.0 bellhousing / flywheel along with the 6 spd. Rubicon trans. will work.

Here's part of the Article:

RubiconRick
    New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/06
    Posted: 01/10/07
    02:30 AM

Having already put the Jeep/Mercedes NSG-370 6 speed manual into two pre 2000 TJ's, I have some advice you may wish to read.

All you need is to get the crank angle sensor re-location kit from a supplier like Advanced Adapters with the new harmonic balancer included.

This kit will pickup from the front of the crank instead of the rear bell housing and mounts to the oil pan/timing cover bolts.

It even comes with a wiring harness extension for your old crank angle sensor pigtail and includes a new plug to match.

Make sure you have the backup lamp switch plug with pigtail wiring stubs included when you buy a used NSG-370.

This way you can easily splice into where the old backup switch plug was and it will plug in perfectly.

One of the converted TJ's had a 3 speed automatic, the other had the AX-15 5 speed.

You will need to modify the shift lever if you don't want it hitting the front of the center console or center stack bezel and your knuckles to impact the dash on forward shifts.

This mod is easy to do. Just cut off the attachment sleeve from the stick at the weld where it slips over the trans shift "stub" and re-weld it on the back side instead of the front side where it's at in stock form.

Hydraulic slave cylinder connections are the same as those on the AX-15's and NV-3550's so you're basically DONE!

The NSG-370 drops right in behind the 4.0L with the original or 6 speed flywheel.

The NP-231J or the NV-241OR "Rock-Track" Rubicon transfer cases will mate right to it.

We had Nth Degree Mobility tummy tuckers with 1" raised motor mounts and the 5 speed rear trans mount bracket Nth Degree supplied for the AX-15 or NV-3550 fit the new 6 speed perfectly.

It's nice to have a deep 4.46:1 1st gear combined with a 4:1 transfer case for crawling action.

Another benefit is the extra ratio before going into 1:1, (where 4th gear used to be in the 5 speed box).

Especially when pulling steep long grades in summertime heat.

Noted positive changes: The engine runs much cooler and stays in its optimal power band.

Now with big oversize tires on steep grades and when fully loaded for a week of camping/trail running, the jeep has improved midrange pulling power.

The swap also helped boost our overall crawl ratio from 78:1 to an almost 90:1 with the lower 1st gear.

The Jury may still be out on the long term durability of this transmission with big tires and hard trail use, but for us there were definite benefits in a 6 speed steed swap. Oh Yeah!

-end quote -

Holy Crap! I made Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by tufcj
    I'm thinking the 6 speed manual is only offered in the newer Rubicons that have the 3.8 V-6. If that's the case, The bell housings are different.

Bob
    tufcj
    DC started the 6-speed in 05, IIRC.

Interesting?
    The 4.0 six was available threw the end of production in the "TJ" platform in 2006 and they did indeed have the manual 6spd's in them, I've driven MANY of them!

I think I'm a little (no, I'm definitely) lost. Will a 4.0 tranny bolt up to a 360?

Thank you from BT Ultra tech
    Yes.

Explanation of why:
    The 4.0L I6 Engine that Chrysler used in the YJ and TJ and almost everything with the Jeep name on it was an AMC Engine released in 1987 BEFORE the sale to Chrysler was final.

Rather than build a new jeep engine, chrysler has kept using the same old 4.0L block for close to 20 years.. being an AMC Block.. it carries the same old AMC Bellhousing Pattern that the AMC I6 and AMC V8's have. So it will bolt up.. technically..

That said.. it will bolt up.. but your gunna need a few things for it to work right.. those bushings and bearings may or may not exist for the AMC V8.

Note: I am tired.. this information is intended to be accurate and probably is.. but standard disclaimer applies

-Dave
    2005 Dodge Neon SRT4 W/Injen SRI, Prothane Race Inserts, Autometer 30/30 Boost Gauge, & AGP Wastegate She's pushin' 19lbs of Boost.

1976 CJ7/304 W/Edelbrock intake & 600CFM Carb/Q-Track (Part Time Conversion)/TH400/Painless Wiring Harness/HEI Dist.

The bushings, bearings, etc...are they available from Chrysler, or would I have to go through a company that specializes in adapter kits?

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    I'm thinking flywheel issues too using a 4.0 flywheel on a V8, this would be nice in place of my T18, but I don't think it would stand up to the abuse of a FSJ.
    parting several FSJ'S