Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Crank Key - Page 3
Bulltear Ad
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Crank Key

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by 1980_Cj7
    Bestest, safest, and easiest way would be to get one of those great crank turning nuts MC makes. See the E-Store.

http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=122

You could use that to hold the crank with a big wrench while you "bump" the gear with a hammer and block of wood.

The nut is a great tool to have anyhow. It was invaluable to me when I was degreeing the cam, and it also worked great to tap the tight Roll Master timing gear on.
    I have one of these also and they are perfect, but as stated, he's got no key sticking out to grab. I just used channel locks with a rag to not scratch it to get the bolt off (before I had the Bulltear nut). Sorry, I misread the post (stupid reading too fast!) and didn't realize that you were talking about the gear was stuck on there. Try a couple of M-80's.

It would be good to get the key back in the keyway, but I'm just not sure how much pounding the timing gear will take.
    Me neither!

But the gear puller would be pulling on the chain links

So either way I'm damned if I do and screwed if I don't
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

I had to pull a Roll Master off when I was degreeing our cam and had the same concerns about having to pull on the chain. There's just no other way you can get a puller on it. Anyhow, it came off and didn't damage anything. I didn't have the key problem though either.

Good point on not having enuff key sticking up to engage the crank turning nut. I didn't think of that.

Wonder what would happen if you hit down on the key with a drift as closed to the timing gear as you can get? I'm wondering if that would rock the front end up further out of the keyway in the crank. I know it works if you hit on the very end. The arched belly of the key rocks it right out. Problem is you can't get to the very innermost end. If you could pop that front end up, maybe you could get a hold of it with something and wiggle it out.

Wonder what would happen if you hit down on the key with a drift as closed to the timing gear as you can get? I'm wondering if that would rock the front end up further out of the keyway in the crank. I know it works if you hit on the very end. The arched belly of the key rocks it right out. Problem is you can't get to the very innermost end. If you could pop that front end up, maybe you could get a hold of it with something and wiggle it out.
    Popp'n ain't an option. I got the gear off - took an old rake handle and whacked the crap outta the gear - handle is FUBAR but the gear is OK, rotated it enough to use the gear puller - so it's apart. (pix when the I-server comes back on-line).

Now - the key, as you saw, is almost flush with the crank. I thought the same as you, take a punch and tap the back, raise the front and pry it outta there. Well, it ain't rock'n.

Tried a punch on both ends - no luck. Tried taping a screw driver under the outboard side - no luck, bent the tip
    Tried tappeing the key from the front to back with a punch - no luck.
    Tried to pry the key from the back with a socket extension as a fulcrum - got sparks, no luck.

Came in and grabbed an Adult beverage - LUCK!!!

The good news is, it's not going any deeper either!!

Still only have about 20Thou of key showing. And working on how to get the key out
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Stubborn little bugger!

How about a little heat, like just a propane torch so you don't get anything too hot, then try tapping it out again with the punch.

Or, how about a cut off wheel in a Dremel tool. Make a cut down the middle of the key parallel to the key, not even necessarily the whole way thru, just something to relieve the apparently really tight fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    It would be good to get the key back in the keyway, but I'm just not sure how much pounding the timing gear will take.
    Me neither!

But the gear puller would be pulling on the chain links

So either way I'm damned if I do and screwed if I don't
    A puller like a Proto with the proper jaws won't touch the chain.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

OK, the torch, a punch and a 16oz ball peen and it's out!!

This is the difference in keys, roughly 3/32 of an inch.

And the small one had some RTV looking stuff as well as being magnatized??

Start reassembly after lunch

Thanks y'all.
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Quote Originally Posted by 82Waggy
    Got a pic of that puller? I'm just curious as to what it looks like. I had a devil of a time finding any puller that had jaws that would fit between the block and the backside of the timing gear, and then the chain was out over the gear teeth, so the puller jaws were against the chain. Does the Proto hook in the holes in the timing gear or something? But on second thought, the crank gear has no holes, just the cam gear.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    That looks like a Chevy key there Pat
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Quote Originally Posted by 82Waggy
    Got a pic of that puller? I'm just curious as to what it looks like. I had a devil of a time finding any puller that had jaws that would fit between the block and the backside of the timing gear, and then the chain was out over the gear teeth, so the puller jaws were against the chain. Does the Proto hook in the holes in the timing gear or something? But on second thought, the crank gear has no holes, just the cam gear.
    Don't have pic (its at the shop) but it is basically a bar on a threaded shaft that the arms slide onto. The arms are curled on the gear end and reach around the chain to pull on the gear. The arms do not hinge on the bar like most gear pullers so they dont slide off the gear.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"