Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Crank Key - Page 4
Bulltear Ad
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Crank Key

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    That looks like a Chevy key there Pat
    If so, it's way to short!!!

Got most of the front end back together today =D> The new key fits TIGHT, but looks like the slippage was about 15* between the crank gear and harmonic balancer!!!!
    so reassembly continues and hopefully wil correct the timining issue - if not, I'm into a dizzy
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Well, I'm reassembled --- mostly. Still need to put the RAD & fenders back on

Now I don't think this one will slip and slide
    New key on the left - - old key on the right (yes it's in there!!)

OLD KEY

NEW KEY
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    drill a small hole in one end of the key and tap it for a machine screw thread the screw in and either pull on the screw or keep screwing until the screw pushes the key out of the slot. Best way I can think of to do it. It's just like turning the key into a puller to pull itself out. just make sure not to drill too deep and get into the crank!

Quote Originally Posted by ironman_gq
    drill a small hole in one end of the key and tap it for a machine screw thread the screw in and either pull on the screw or keep screwing until the screw pushes the key out of the slot. Best way I can think of to do it. It's just like turning the key into a puller to pull itself out. just make sure not to drill too deep and get into the crank!
    Didn't think of that, good idea

I'll give it a go next time I run into this problem again. For now the heat and drift punch did the deed and the new key and sprocket is assembled, covers on, and I just need to finish putting the front end together - never enough time in a day.
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

dam chevy's

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

Well the new key is in, the gears are lined up, the engine is reassembled, RAD is reconnected and I still have 50* for timing

I did notice my dizzy was hard to turn by hand and I can't get the vacuum motor to suck the ADV plate. Replaced the vacuum motor - still won't move - so it's time to replace the frigg'n thing and see if THAT's the problem. And I did re-read the vacuum porting article again - I'm at 50* (initial) @750 RPM without vacuum !! (thanks again Jedi Master AMX69PHATTY)

Which creates more questions ...
    I see MC added an HEI distributor on Oct 9 for $150. E-Bay has the 'Dragon Fire' billit dizzy for (buy it now) @ $170 --- Any other sugestions?

Q1 - with the one wire hook up - what does that do to the ignition module that fires the old stick???
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

50¬?, WOW! Something sure ain't right.

Are you sure your timing marks are correct? Did you verify that when the marks are on TDC, the number one piston is actually at TDC? And your timing light is on number one, right?

This isn't meant to insult you or anything. I know more than one person that got the banks mixed up and was thinking number 2 was number one. Happens to the best of us.

Gets rid of the old Ignition box entirely. you just run the one wire right to the dizzy and start her up.
    Are you sure that your balncer didnt shift on itself. I've hearn of the outer ring with the timing mark spinning on the central hub part. All that holds them together is a strip of rubber from what Ive seen

Quote Originally Posted by 1980_Cj7
    50¬?, WOW! Something sure ain't right.

Are you sure your timing marks are correct? Did you verify that when the marks are on TDC, the number one piston is actually at TDC? And your timing light is on number one, right?

This isn't meant to insult you or anything. I know more than one person that got the banks mixed up and was thinking number 2 was number one. Happens to the best of us.
    No problem – even I’M thinking I’M stupid or something!!
    Timing marks are on a new nickel cover from Bulltear
    Balancer doesn’t look like it’s spun, no puching in the rubber and no rotation (according to the paint), and #1 is the front DR side cylinder.
    Firing order has been checked at least 8 times with the book (TSM, Haynes and Clymers). Checked for vacuum leaks and have all new hoses.

50* and not getting it close to time is what prompted me to tear down the front end where I found the wrong woodriff key (see previous pix) and the crank was rotated about 3* in relation to the cam from the crank gear over riding the key (3* crank is 6* cam).
    Set #1 piston (front driver’s side ) to TDC and the valves to closed, lined up the "dots" on the timing chain sprokets and installed the new key and a double roller timing chain and sprockets. Butt load of assembly lube on the gears and chain, and the cam / dizzy drive gears. Set the rotor to #1 on the cap lined up the oil pump drive and installed the dizzy - this is where I found it turned kinda hard - not as easy as I think it should. But when I went to set timing, with no vacuum, I'm at 50* at 750 RPM (with vacuum I'm at ~35*). I'm REALLY not understanding this one - never had this problem before.
    I'm thinking I really screwed up when I rebuilt the dizzy last year (yes, it's been that long!! ), but the motor runs at that amount of advance and doesn't seem to over heat any more? This is where it was when I broke in the cam as well??
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

So with the vacuum hooked up, you are getting less advance? That is really weird. You should be getting more shouldn't you? Do you have another disributor you could swap in just to see if that makes any differnce?

When you brought No. 1 up to TDC, did you look to see if the timing marks were lined up? Maybe that balancer did slip.