Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
I might have bitten off more than i can chew...304 rebuild
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I might have bitten off more than i can chew...304 rebuild

I might have bitten off more than i can chew...304 rebuild

I need help... My cousin was going to send his 76 cj7 to the great trail in the sky, until I offered to take it sight-unseen. Now I have a Jeep in bad shape and little money or know how on how to put it back together. It has a stock 304 that is in pieces- the block and heads have been machined and the heads assembled. There is a complete rebuild kit with it. I have a chiltons that can tell me how to assemble the engine components but not the order in which to assemble them. I am mechanically inclined, I just haven't ever attempted an engine rebuild. Can anyone help me with the order of assembly? Anything I need to watch out for? Secret hints or tips that will help me get my poor Jeep back on the trail? anything will help, Thanks

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Do you have an extra $4-500 dollars to have a shop assemble the engine. Sometimes that a good road due to the amount of things that can go wrong and the warrantee you can get.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    The first one is always the hardest until you get your confidence built - and your motor.

Tearing down and putting together an engine may seem daunting, but it's just mechanical. Part A fits with Part B with the correct tolerances - they are all in the book. The tricky part comes when you need to get the mechanical and electrical to play nicely together.

What kind of parts or pieces is your motor in now? What has been done and what do you want to do? That last question depends on how you plan to use it - mud, rocks, racing, putt'n around. And THAT selection will guide HOW to build your motor and the price tag behind it (or in it). I've got about 3 bills in mine and it's a fairly strong 360, Jeff (Blown7) has gobs more $$ invested in his 401, but he's also about 1000 HP with a blower on it!!!

So, grasshopper, question #1 If your just looking on reassembly of current parts, just 'freshen' up the top and bottom end with new bearings, seals and valve job.

'Rat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

well, my cousin blew the motor about 5 yrs ago and then proceded to tear into it. He had the block bored .030 over, the heads were worked over, he bought a rebuild kit including lifters, cam, and the whole 9 yards. then it sat in his buddy's garage until last Thursday when I pulled it out and took it home. the only thing mounted on the block is the crank. I am just aiming to get the Jeep running for a play toy for now since I am working on a shoestring budget. I also have the TH400 and quadra-trac that I will need to deal with as I move along with my project. Not to mention the severe rust that Jeeps are known for.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Well if you have a good digital camera and patience we can walk you through just about anything if your up for it!
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

I'm waiting to borrow an engine stand from a friend so I can get started and then I will be ready to start on the build up. I am at a severe disadvantage since I am not the one who tore it apart. Do i need to clean the surface rust off of the outside of the block before starting? if so, what is the best method?

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Let me offer you a couple of general words of advice..

Go buy some of the little rubber caps that go over the rod bolts so you dont nick the crank.. and.. finally dont sweat it.. guys have been known to replace spun bearings alongside the trail in the dirt, "just to get it home" and still been driving them years later..

an afterthought .actually grab a chiltons or haynes manual for the jeepthat will certainly help..
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    I have the Haynes, Chiltons and TSM for mine - but your Chiltons will get you through, with help from the board here (or in Dusty's case bored wazzup Bro? )

For the surface rust on the outside - no big deal, a wire brush and AMC Blue paint will handle that. If you have some rust on the INSIDE we'll need to address that if it's on a machined surface (cylinder walls, bearing journal, or one of the machined mating surfaces (head-to-block, front cover-to-block or ... oil-pan-to block which is not that critical.)
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Where are you located? There might be somebody close to you that wouldn't mind offering some help.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    as far as surface rust goes as long as its not on any internal surface of the engine or crank and cant become airborn by touching it then it should be fine. I Would recommend getting a book that is a little more specific when it comes to reassembly steps than the hayes manuals. They can be a little too general sometimes. I think this is something that anyone can do as long as they can read instructions and a torque wrench.
    Good Luck!