Thread: Dana 300

Helpfull BT forum member Captain

Dana 300

Broke the output shaft on my 300 yesterday. Ordering parts and I just want to make sure I get the right one's. It has the Speedo cable in the output houseing does that mean it is the long shaft. I don't know what year the case is because I got it of off EBay. Is there any other quick way to tell which one I have.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Most of the 300s are long shaft. The 1980 (first year in CJs) was a "short shaft". The tail housing and output shaft are shorter. The 1980 version tail housing was about 3 1/2" long, 1981 up is about 5 1/2".

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thanks!

I got one more question. I am going to upgrade to a heavy duty out put kit. I have a cv style drive shaft. I have found 2 kits. One from Tera Flex and one from Advanced adapters. Which one would you guys recommend or is stronger. The other question is the tera flex going to use my stock cv styleyoke since it doesn't say anything about cv or standard.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    I think they should both be pretty good. I dont see why your yoke wouldnt fit. if it fits on the stock one it should fit on the new one but a quick phone call cant hurt. Both companies are well known and probably have a pretty decent warranty.

The heavy duty output kits usually have larger diameter shafts with more splines (32), so I dont think you are going to be able to reuse your yoke, if I am understanding your question, and you are referring to the yoke on the t-case output shaft.

Also check out JB Conversions kits. They make some really nice stuff.

I knew that the advanced adapter kit takes a special yoke becasue of the different spline count and they have a seperate kit for the cv shaft. Tera flex doesn't give a cv shaft kit as an option so I wasn't sure where I was going to get a cv style yoke for their kit.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    My HD output kit for the D300 from TeraFlex came with a yoke.
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE