Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Underdrive pulley

Its got a oil pump housing from BullTear and a FlowKooler water pump on it......so im not too sure wut exactly im dealing with but i do know i need to take my to an over all height of 1.905" down to 1.85"......got a buddy that has lathe and a mill so ima just alter the one i have.
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    just a question, what is the purpose for underdrive pulley?

Spins everything at a slower rate than stock......your alternator and power steering pump will be much happier spinning slower..........i know 6k RPMS ain't that high..but for stock accessories it is haha
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Spinning the accessories (P/S, alt, water pump, fan, even A/C) slower takes less horsepower, so the engine has a little more, maybe 10-20 HP to put to the rear wheels.

The down side is that at low RPM, like idle, all the accessories put out less. They work great for a race car where you're trying to squeeze every bit of power to the rear wheels, but not so good on a rock crawler where you need every bit of accessory power (particularly cooling and P/S) at right around idle. Remember that a belt powered fan will turn slower too. If you use an electric fan, you're alternator is turning slower and has less output.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

I have a High flow water pump that i think spins a bit to fast and cirrculates faster than it cools....alternator is a 93 AMP AC Delco, and my P/S pump is a AGR High flow pump.......got a deal on the Rock Ram kit.......the one for 40" tires or bigger so i think i gots everything covered....but theres only one way to find out i guess

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Alternator output is generally rated at about 6000 RPM alternator shaft speed, about 2000 RPM engine speed, not at idle. The alt turns 2.5-3 X as fast as the crank. At 600-700 RPM idle, some factory alternators don't put out enough voltage to keep up. Underdrive pulleys will slow it down even more.

I've got a 100 amp Bosch on my CJ with stock pulleys, if I don't rev it slightly on start-up, it won't turn out my charge warning light (aftermarket).

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Hmm......at bout 600-700 RPMs with the stock pulley my gauge always read at 14 volts.......if it don't work out right then i'll just swap it out for a stock and save it for later i guess....

Well it worked out great....cirrculates the w/p enough so i wont overheat, spin p/s pump enough to steer awesome and spins alt. good enough to supply 13 volts!