Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
More thump for a 304 pump
Bulltear Ad

Thread: More thump for a 304 pump

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

More thump for a 304 pump

Can someone elaborate on any details on using 305 flat top pistons in a 72 304 motor. Would I need to bush the AMC rods, grind crank for small chevy rods.Plan on keeping the orginal block in the car.Valve job would include 1.94 intake,1.60 exhaust valves.Cyl. bored 040 over to fit piston dia. Is there any other voodoo or spells I can cast to make this work.RANDY

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    By the time you have all of the machine work done you'll end up spending more money than what was needed.. Just buy some custom pistons.. Call Ross Pistons etc... Somebody. Just don't put Chevy in an AMC... Just teasing, I have chevy valves in one of my 360's... with a modified gm distributor...

Don't really need forged pistons. 100 dollars for a set 8 hypereurotic pistons would work well enough. In useing chev 305 pistons in a AMC 304 ,The comp. hght on the 305 is 1.56 and the 304 is 1.58 could I safely mill the block deck .020 to .035 to gain back the lost quench area of the piston to head and .045 head gasket thickness. How much would be to much. Looking for a 9.5 to 1 CR. , But then if the machine cost does tally up. RANDY

Hypererotic pistons? Is that MC's latest concoction or something? Why didn't you guys tell me about them when I did my engine??? They sound SEXY!

Naw, just a cheap trick, Pistons are from Fast engine parts (maddog) Thought about just buying a re-ring kit and the hyper. pistons separately would be cheaper than a plain cast piston overhaul kit. Randy

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Randy you could go that way and run thick intake gaskets but you will also need to keep in mind that the top of the piston usually needs valve reliefs cut. A quick rotation of the assembly will tell the tale there. We are talking about .020 which may or may not be a huge deal depending on the cc volume of the top of the piston. You could run flat tops and get back that compression as well but the burn will never be the best. That is one of the reasons why guys have custom pistons made. You can order them with gas relief pockets, smoothed out reliefs and can customize your compression. If its just a mild street and a very mild strip motor and your on a budget then go for it!

You can bush your rods, get a set of full floating pistons with locks to try and squeeze more power out of that 304 but I think you might be happier boring the heck out of it and running a larger bore. Alot of 304 blocks can go from 3.75" to 3.875" and you can run some Chevy 283Ci pistons but then that old compression height issue comes up again and your looking at custom pistons.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689