Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Next Top Secret Project
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Top Secret Project

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar

Next Top Secret Project

Well this project is going to be top secret until X-mas eve. My brothers, mom and I are buying my dad this for x-mas. I am picking it up saturday. It hasnt been started in a year but was driven regularly until then. I am going to get it running and drive it over to my parents on x-mas to suprise him.

overall it is in Pretty good shape. It has been garage, and has not been in 4wd in the past 15 years. So lack of salt probably helped save it. I am getting it for a very good price as well.

Plans for it will mostly be a restoration. Maybe make it nice to drive 4-5 hours, so it could become a fishing/beach buggy. It currently has the Tornado 230 motor, D18 t-case. Not sure on the transmission t-90? Not sure if we are going to keep that drivetrain in it or update it. I guess it will be up to my dad.

-Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    NICE FIND!
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Excellent find? Hell, OUTSTANDING find!!! Looks like a '47 or '50 model?

Lucky skunk I'm still looking for my '54
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

sweet find paul!!!! my uncle jay had one until its untimely demise in a rollover. my cousin jason was going to work in it and was cut off by a drunk. at least jason walked away with
    just getting beat to hell. it had a 392 hemi, a-727 t-flight,
    not sure about the t-case or the diffs. aircraft gages(yep
    i got them to work). it even had an artificial horizon.
    83 eagle (r.i.p.)
    85 gl1200 gold wing LTD pilot
    1999 gl1500C valkyrie(plain gold wing)
    1994 jeep grand cherokee limited pilot
    McDonnell Douglas c-17 mechanic
    corrupting people since 1962

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I love those. I've got a friend out in Colorado that has a 4 door. They were custom built by a coach company for the railroads. One of only a dozen or so known to still exist.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by bump
    Excellent find? Hell, OUTSTANDING find!!! Looks like a '47 or '50 model?
    So what year IS it???
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

It was last registered as a 65, the owner thought it was a 62 or 63 though. But when he went for a vin verification in our state at the time they couldnt find a book to go back past 1965 so they registered it as that.

It has the tornado 230 motor in it, so that should make it one of the later years, it is all original except for a couple of stereo speakers, and an after market CD player. But it came with the original radio, and cut out.

It is at my inlaws so I have not had a chance to play with it at all, it was cranking over fine, but no spark from the Coil, it has a points Distributor so I am going to guess it has something to do with that, Monday i will load it back onto a trailer and my brothers and I are going to bring it to my parents house.

-Paul
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

OK, could be. Been researching again, and without the VIN, this is what I could find ...

There were not quite 60,000 wagons made between 1958 and 1965. The one piece front and rear windows came out in 1959 but only on the limited edition Maverick model (for the old TV show). The others caught up either late 1960 for the front window and 1961 for the one piece rear window. If you have rear facing seats (like the old Land Cruiser FJ 40's) you may have a rare model called the Traveller. That chrome strip down the side (arrow, 'V', "upside-down check mark", what ever you want to call it) was used up until late 1963. So that kinda dates your find to a 61 or 63 model.

Where are the wipers? Cowl or upper window frame? Vacuume in the upper frame would be a '58 to '60 with that trim and badging, but not with those windows unless it was originally a 2-tone Maverick model.

Your engine though was introduced in 1962 ... is undersquare for better low speed torque. It had a 3.34 inch bore with a 4.38 inch stroke. The standard version had an 8.5:1 compression ratio. Output was 140 hp at 4000 rpm and 210 ft¬?lb of torque at 1750 rpm. A low-compression (7.5:1) version was also available, with 133 hp at 4000 rpm and 199 ft¬?lb of torque at 2400 rpm.

The Tornado was a good engine, unfortunately it was complex (by 1960s standards) and was discontinued in civilian vehicles in the U.S.A. in 1965. It continued to be used in military versions of the Jeep pickup, the M-715 and M-725, until 1969.
    Only 6 lobes on the cam?!?!?! Each lobe moves BOTH intake and exhaust valves...

More than likely, what I've found based on your pics, engine, windows and trim pieces, it's a 1962-1963 Willys 4WD Utility Wagon. =D>

You're still a lucky sh!t (or actually your dad is )

I'm sure you have this address for Willys Overland Parts .. http://willysoverland.com/
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

We are super psyched to give this to my dad, and if by some chance he doesnt like it I will have no problems taking it home with me (that wont happen though)

Wipers are in the cowl, here is another picture of it from when it was featured in a Ralph Lauren ad with one of his airstream trailers

I kind of want to take apart the motor just to see how it works with the 6 lobes,

It doesnt have the jump seats in the back, it has a standard back seat and as far as i could tell EVERY thing is original including the paint.

Back to the Ralph Lauren AD
    I didnt mention I got this from One of Ralph Laurens top guys, This guy personally designed about 6 of Ralph Laurens homes, his movie theater with bar in it, and is the guy who originally came up with the entire "Ralph Lauren Vintage" stuff. The willys was in a few Polo, ralph lauren ads, was in a few of the store windows in NYC occasionally. So it has an interesting history too.

I already have a restoration guide for it from http://www.willysamerica.com/ and have been researching as much as possible on it.

-Paul
    - Mahatma Gandhi

vin is 5414810293
    - Mahatma Gandhi