My suggestion would be a custom bellhousing (similar in design to a JW Ultrabell) that would allow the use of an A518 Chrysler automatic w/overdrive behind an AMC engine.

I realize there are currently adapters for mating GM automatics to AMC engines but using one of these adapters with a 4WD vehicle also requires the additional cost of obtaining a GM transfercase or a transfercase adapter.

For those not familar with the Ultrabell design it is basically a replacement bellhousing that mounts to the transmission pump bolts. To install the Ultrabell requires removing (cutting off) the transmission's original bellhousing.

Here are the pros to this idea as I see them:
1. One bellhousing would work with the following Chrysler transmissions: A518/46RH, 46RE, A618/47RH, 47RE, and 48RE.

2. The custom bellhousing will work with both AMC V8 and 6 cylinder engines (same engine bolt pattern).

3. An AMC lockup torque converter should work with this application (TCI has them available).

4. No special flywheel should be needed if an AMC torque converter is used.

5. Jeep transfercases will mate with the A518 transmission (same spline count).

6. The A518 is only 4 inches longer than the 727 TF. Once the custom bellhousing is installed the only remaining modifications needed to complete the install would be the transmission mount and the driveshaft.

7. Both the Jeep and AMC vehicles would benefit by having another option for installing an overdrive transmission.

8. The A518 transmission is basically a 727 torqueflite with an overdrive added on. So rebuilding these transmissions is easy and they have a proven record of handling big block power.

Anyway these are my thoughts. Let me know what you think.

Rich B.