Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 76 Hornet

76 Hornet

Sorry here all im new to the 1/4 mile stuff and could use some input.I have a 1976 Hornet with very little if any rust[california car].It is a 258 six with the 2 barrel carb.A blown up Torqueflite and a crappy old model 35.So here is where i need some input.I have a Currie 9 inch 31 spline custom rear end that i have received last month.I am wondering or hoping for some input as to what gears to put into this diff?I have already located a 700r4 tranny for free[ will rebuild as needed] and will NOT be running the 258 as a drag motor.I have been given a set of new `5:29 gears for it and am wondering am i wasting my time with the auto or should i just spring for a Richmond 6 speed ???I know its a sort of weird application here but i love this car and want to beat the every day Mustangs Camaro or rice rocket that is running around here in Vancouver.Will a 290 built to rev be a good power plant or????
    cj7 360 roller motor 291c heads np435 dana300 4-1 plus northwest fab 2.72 black box, currie hi pinion 9 inch front and currie rock jock dana60 rear,38 inch tsls custom shackle reversal and a little bit of rust lol

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum

Re: 76 Hornet

Quote Originally Posted by cjmike67
    I know its a sort of weird application here but i love this car and want to beat the every day Mustangs Camaro or rice rocket that is running around here in Vancouver.Will a 290 built to rev be a good power plant or????
    I would like to suggest a AMC 360 V8 instead of the 290, unless you already have the 290.
    360's are common as grass and you should be able to pick one up for cheap.
    401's are the uber AMC V8, but not as common (at least not around here) as the 360 and may cost some coin to get a builder.

Someday, I would love to own a AMC powered Boulevard Bruiser to spank some Mustangs, Camaro and Ricers! hehehe
    Bryan Smith
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    - 5.7 HEMI powered
    1982 Jeep J10
    - Progress toward road-worthiness is being made!
    1981 Jeep J20
    - Commercial flat bed - Long term Project: RUST! Long term project (RUST!)

Well thx for the input!I I was thinking that a 290 could be built a little better to rev higher then a 360.Am i being to optimistic in running these gears?Got the gears for free so its not that big of a deal and the rear end was ordered for this car.Aiming for around a ten inch slick/street slick or so.Everything i have built have been for my jeep big torque at low rpm.This 1/4 mile stuff is totally alien for me but cant wait to hop this car up! Mike!Will post pics when i can get the pic thing figured out!lol
    cj7 360 roller motor 291c heads np435 dana300 4-1 plus northwest fab 2.72 black box, currie hi pinion 9 inch front and currie rock jock dana60 rear,38 inch tsls custom shackle reversal and a little bit of rust lol

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    You're going to need a real revver for 5.29 gears. My AMX has 3.73 gears with 26" tall tires. At 6000 RPMs, I'm doing about 105 MPH. Bigger diameter tires will gain you a bit, but not a lot.

I wouldn't spin a 290 or 360 past about 6500 without spending some serious money on forged pistons and rods, and some crank work. Over 7000, I'd suggest 4 bolt main caps, but you'd need an early 360 block with the thicker webbing to install them.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thx im thinking ill go with a set of 3:90 gears and build a bigger motor!

Thank you from BT Ultra tech
    Quote Originally Posted by tufcj
    You're going to need a real revver for 5.29 gears. My AMX has 3.73 gears with 26" tall tires. At 6000 RPMs, I'm doing about 105 MPH. Bigger diameter tires will gain you a bit, but not a lot.

I wouldn't spin a 290 or 360 past about 6500 without spending some serious money on forged pistons and rods, and some crank work. Over 7000, I'd suggest 4 bolt main caps, but you'd need an early 360 block with the thicker webbing to install them.

Bob
    tufcj
    Hey bob, the 290 came with a forged crank but not sure about the rods.. AMC was tryin' to get there V8 out there and couldn't want to QA an iron crank.

Either way though 5.29 seems a bit much (jesus.. as a jeep guy I never thought I would say that )

-Dave
    2005 Dodge Neon SRT4 W/Injen SRI, Prothane Race Inserts, Autometer 30/30 Boost Gauge, & AGP Wastegate She's pushin' 19lbs of Boost.

1976 CJ7/304 W/Edelbrock intake & 600CFM Carb/Q-Track (Part Time Conversion)/TH400/Painless Wiring Harness/HEI Dist.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I understood that SOME of the 290 cranks were from Armasteel(?), which was somewhere between cast and forged. Those cranks are stamped with the Amrasteel name. The rest were just cast. Only the 390 and 401 got a forged crank (and rods) from the factory. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by dbesade
    Either way though 5.29 seems a bit much (jesus.. as a jeep guy I never thought I would say that )

-Dave
    LOL!
    I am also a Jeep/truck guy, so I do not know much about the 1/4 mile Go-Fast cars, so I was keeping quiet.
    5:29 seems rather extreme on the low scale, with maybe the monster Rockwell tipping the Low Scale on the ultra extreme with 6.72:1.
    I am happy with the 3:73 in my J20's Dana 60!
    Bryan Smith
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    - 5.7 HEMI powered
    1982 Jeep J10
    - Progress toward road-worthiness is being made!
    1981 Jeep J20
    - Commercial flat bed - Long term Project: RUST! Long term project (RUST!)

Thank you from BT Ultra tech
    Quote Originally Posted by tufcj
    I understood that SOME of the 290 cranks were from Armasteel(?), which was somewhere between cast and forged. Those cranks are stamped with the Amrasteel name. The rest were just cast. Only the 390 and 401 got a forged crank (and rods) from the factory. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Bob
    tufcj
    Hmm I always understood that in the rush to get the 290 out.. AMC used the forged tooling .. oh crap.. I think I'm thinking about the AMC 250 (first V8..) I dunno.. MC needs to chime in here..

-Dave
    2005 Dodge Neon SRT4 W/Injen SRI, Prothane Race Inserts, Autometer 30/30 Boost Gauge, & AGP Wastegate She's pushin' 19lbs of Boost.

1976 CJ7/304 W/Edelbrock intake & 600CFM Carb/Q-Track (Part Time Conversion)/TH400/Painless Wiring Harness/HEI Dist.

Armasteel is a trade name for nodular cast iron. IIRC, there were some forged cranks made available for the 290/343, but I don't think any were used from the factory. All non forged AMC cranks are nodular cast iron.
    1969 Rebel 401 TH400
    1978 J10 401, QT
    1978 Wag 401 QT
    1973 Javelin AMX in pieces.