Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What tranny do I have?

What tranny do I have?

I have a 360 with a three speed tranny in my 75 CJ5. I'd like to swap for a 4 or 5 speed. How do I find out which tranny I have and what would be a suitable swap?

Thank you from BT Ultra tech
    If its a stock V8 CJ5 its probably a T150. You can swap in a T18a/b 4 speed from another CJ.. or find a ford T18 and do the swap.

my 2 3/4¢

-Dave
    2005 Dodge Neon SRT4 W/Injen SRI, Prothane Race Inserts, Autometer 30/30 Boost Gauge, & AGP Wastegate She's pushin' 19lbs of Boost.

1976 CJ7/304 W/Edelbrock intake & 600CFM Carb/Q-Track (Part Time Conversion)/TH400/Painless Wiring Harness/HEI Dist.

The motor is a donor from a '78 Wagoneer. Is the same swap possible?

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    Your 75 might have a T15 also.
    4 spd swaps
    T176
    T18
    T19
    NP435
    SM420
    SM465
    The T18/dana 20 and T176/dana 20 or dana 300 could be found in the CJ.
    5 spd swaps
    NV4500
    T5
    Clark
    The T5/dana 300 came in the CJ but dosen't have a good rep as a strong trany.
    I'm an auto guy so I don't have a lot of seat time with any of these combos. However I'm planing to swap in a 225 V6/T18/dana18 w/overdrive and PTO in my 63 CJ5.
    IF IT STILL STARTS DO IT AGAIN!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I believe Kev is right. If stock, it would be a T-15. The T-150 was used 76-79.

For 4 speeds, a 76-79 CJ T-18 is the only direct bolt in (but driveshafts would have to be changed). A Ford 2WD T-18 or NP435 will bolt to the bellhousing, but will need and adapter for the t-case. Anything else will need an adapter on both ends.

The T-5 or T-176 would bolt in if you use a 1980-1986 CJ bellhousing and the Dana 300 t-case (probably some crossmember and driveshaft mods), but like Kev said, the T-5 isn't known for its durability.

It really depends on if you need a granny gear or overdrive.

This might help. If you click on the trans, most show a pic.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/jeep/...on-factory.htm

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

I need the overdrive more than the granny. It's gonna be pretty much a daily driver.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    An early Dodge NV4500 would give you both the granny low and OD. Unfortunately, with the required adapters, it may be too long for a CJ5.

For an OD, the T-5 may be your best bet, not the best tranny, but I've seen them live behind a stock 360, as long as you don't get stupid with the skinny pedal. No burnouts, high rev shifts, etc.

You might check the tech areas at both www.advanceadapters.com and www.novak-adapt.com

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thanks, Bob. I don't plan on doing anything too crazy with it,so the T-5 might work thanks for the info.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by jharlan68
    Thanks, Bob. I don't plan on doing anything too crazy with it,so the T-5 might work thanks for the info.
    I didn't either when I bought a new T-5, but I don't think it will hold up behind my 360 or in front of the 4.56 lockers. Mud, rocks and skinny pedal and hunting in the mountains So I picked up a 727 to rebuild and stick in there and am trying to get the 4:1 kit in the D300 (but it's giving me problems)
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

how do you like that t-150? those things are the biggest turds they ever put behind a jeep motor.i went through 5 of those things before i got some brains and said that's enough.
    i think i could wipe out the front inpute shaft out on demand.
    good choice to get rid of that thing.