Bulltear Ad

Thread: can't belive it didn't eat the whole thing

can't belive it didn't eat the whole thing

New to this site and just love all the info. Also new to jeep. Bought this 76 j10 from junkyard and spent some time replacing parts from sitting for nine years as one would expect. have had some lack of power issues since driving but thought this may be normal for amc 360. big backfire yesterday so was checking timing chain play by watching dist. rotor. too much slack so decide to replace chain set, truck still running ok. pull timing cover off and has so much slack that chain came off without removing either gear. truck still running ok as I said. have had chevys,fords and other assorted makes thru the years and any of those would have put valves into the pistons. I love this engine and am looking forward to the power difference after getting back together today. am now going to look over tech info tonight to get more insight.

thanks
    Ron

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    Had a 360 a few years ago the PO replaced the chain, well it had a clatter due to bent pushrods, eventually broke one, ran good with a used set of pushrods.
    parting several FSJ'S

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Welcome aboard woodfar51. Keep us posted on your progress and don't be shy about asking questions. You'll find A LOT of super tech info here and if you can't, ask, we'll show you where it's at.

If you have a specific question try the "Search" function (a button at the top of the page). There are thousands of Tech Posts on everything from cams and bearings, to oiling tips and tricks, to body work
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I got a 360 with the chain so stretched that it wore a hole in the side if the timing cover. Still ran pretty strong, but had a terrible oil leak. Ran even stronger with a new chain/gears and cover.

Welcome to the board.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    got one with an inch and a half of slack. finally skipped a few links and my cam ended up exactly 180 off and all of the valves were open when they should have been closed. ran her for a few months with a broken pushrod and 4 bent ones before I tore it down to fix it.