Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wierd Sound from carb

How can I test if they are arcing

plug arch

Start the engine at night and raise hood making sure it is dark in engine bay. You should be able to see arch. Look closely and make sure to stay away from fan.

I have not pulled the valve covers yet but when I Installed the, new manifold a while back, I replaced the valve cover gaskets and I noticed two of the rockers where loose but I didn't get around to doing a valve adjustment and one of the push rods I could literally move back and forth just a little and some wouldn't even twist.

I checked them that day because I could here the classic ticking from the valve cover.

I might just bring it to get a valve adjustment and see what they say about it.

Any Thoughts?

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Does this engine have the bridged rockers or the seperate intake and exhaust rockers??

and If you have some insulated pliers you can pull one plug wire at a time until you locate the cylinder thats missing and that will help you narrow it down..
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Bridged

I hitched a vac gauge up to the constant vac side of the carb and every time I hear the noise the gauge pulses.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Had a sound like that from an old 4300 carb. Turned out it was just carboned up, and the fuel wasn't atomizing properly. Every time I heard the POP, there was a drip raw fuel out of the venturis onto the throttle plates.

Disassembled the carb and soaked it over night in one of those gallon cans of Berryman B12. Blew it dry with compressed air and re-assembled, the problem was gone.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Looking down the throat of the carb as I rev it up I see some of the fuel combust just on the passenger side....Does this have anything to do with whats going on?

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    you say you are actually seeing a fireball down the carb? that would be a dead nuts giveaway that there is a valve open when combustion is taking place.. (Ummm dude you are wearing safety glasses right? )
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Yea I saw it few times as I rev'd the engine up! how would I go about fixing this myself?