Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wierd Sound from carb

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Well follow the steps to figure out what is causing it. first pull a plug wire at a time if it makes no difference in how the engine is idling/the noise then put it back on and move to the next.. when oyu locate the cyl that is missing pull the plug and look for mechanical damage.. then pull the valvecover and check the mechanicals (rockers too tight, pushrod bent etc.. )

Something is either causing the plug to fire when the intake valve is open, or the valve to not close completly..
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    It's never a good idea to look down the carb while revving it... On the other hand, Nothing beats a good laugh, especially seeing a grown man screaming and running around with a head of fire will most likely get me chuckling a little bit... =D>

It's never a good idea to look down the carb while revving it... On the other hand, Nothing beats a good laugh, especially seeing a grown man screaming and running around with a head of fire will most likely get me chuckling a little bit...
    Heh Heh. yahh! you betcha! almost as funny as that video clip of that D/A that does the flaming shot and spews fire everywhere. (someone here has that clip as an avatar..)

Dirty Harry.

carbon

This is old school but if you take a spray bottle with engine running and spray a little water into carb it will break the carbon loose.
    May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

1976 J10
    1988 5.0 Mustang
    1995 Ford Taurus
    1995 Sportster 1200

carbon

This is old school but if you take a spray bottle with engine running and spray a little water into carb it will break the carbon loose.
    May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

1976 J10
    1988 5.0 Mustang
    1995 Ford Taurus
    1995 Sportster 1200

I dont know if you said, but what kind of carb is it, I know Holley has issues with truck avenger series carb when it first came out.
    100%RHINOLINED,AMC360,D300,D60F&R,35"BFG MT, 6"^,Breaks down every chance it gets. My lady calls it the Death Star
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2431277

Edelbrock Performer 650

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    could it be a backfire through the carb? I had a buddy with a 258 that did that and another one that had a bad miss that made a very strange chugging/whack sound. you can check for bad valves with a compression tester and some oil. I would think it is a bad valve. could be bent or sticking or it could be a pushrod.

Well Now that I actually had time to go out and pull the valve covers. The cause of the sound because very evident!

A Pushrod Blew right through one of the rockers. Awsome

coool, glad it was somethimg easy..

Dirty Harry.