If gas is going to be $4 to $5 a gal...there goes any reason for a subsidy. And perhaps you missed it when I said sugar beets are plowed under here at times.

Corn ethanol isn't the answer and they will be the first to tell you. But it is a start. When oil was first produced into gas did when get all the gas we get now from a barrel of oil today? Heck no. But its a start.
If we didn't try to develop these technologies someone else will. and we'll be buying it from them again.
Certainly electric isn't the answer...yet. But the government is funding millions on that crap also. Whats going to happen when everyone tries to plug in there car to recharge and it's hot out, people have their A/C on in the house? California has rolling blackouts, one hick-up on the power grid and millions lose power for days.
E-85 may or may not be the answer...but something has to be done because the boneheads in Washington aren't doing jack.
Look here :
http://wyden.senate.gov/issues/wyden_oil_report.pdf

Oh and by the way, the new budget that our elected officials passed included hundreds of millions of $$$$'s in tax cuts for the oil industry. Bush was going to veto it unless that was in it. So our lustrous senators then raped us by attaching over 6000 add ons (6 BILLION+) to the bill for everything under the sun...courtesy of you and I via taxes.

How can GM produce a 500hp corvette that idles like a any other car drives and starts in all weather but can't seem to get better than 30MPG out of anything other than a small box with wheels?????
GM's E-85 cars and trucks are a joke...they should be making more power and better mileage than they are. But they are to busy trying to put hard drives, LCD monitors into them instead!

We need something done and right now E-85 can help until something better comes along...I'll bet you'll be wishing and hoping that if gas hits $5 this summer or next!

People really need to get informed and do research on their own because so many studies and opinions are out there that is funded by this person or that person it easy to fall into the trap of "it will never work".

Brazil isn't flying thousands of jets and driving thousands of tanks around in the sand to protect its sugar cane is it???