Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
drivetrain swap (long with many questions) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: drivetrain swap (long with many questions)

After thinking about the shroud issue....out of the past 8 CJ's ive had, not a single one has had a fan shroud...and out of all my buddies jeeps its the same way..........did jeep just put them on as a option? or maybe all the ones ive seen were just broke or never put back on?
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Most broke and weren't replaced. The factory shroud tended to crack, made of a fiberglass sort of material. My original broke when I threw a PS belt and it wrapped in the fan. They were kind of a PITA to install/remove, since they use the same 4 bolts that hold the radiator in place.

My Jeep overheats quickly without it, even with the Be-Cool aluminum radiator.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    yep they sure did break easy. they tend to get a little brittle and break if you look at em wrong. I would just use the taurus fan as is with the shroud that it is built into. the taurus shroud covers about 2/3's of the radiator and if you mount it right you can use the two bolts on the passenger side of the radiator to mount that side of the fan the other side just use those through core mounts for a tranny cooler. cant get too much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman_gq
    yep they sure did break easy. they tend to get a little brittle and break if you look at em wrong. I would just use the taurus fan as is with the shroud that it is built into. the taurus shroud covers about 2/3's of the radiator and if you mount it right you can use the two bolts on the passenger side of the radiator to mount that side of the fan the other side just use those through core mounts for a tranny cooler. cant get too much easier.
    Great idea. I'm installing mine this weekend.

I run the tarus fan on my CJ, Basically my setup is this,

360, 2 row 1 1/4 aluminum cross flow radiator, Taraus fan(with the shroud that comes with the fan), and a flow kool high volume water pump. i

You do not want to run the fan on high all the time, you will need to upgrade your electrical system if you do that, especially if your crawling alot. Low is sufficient up to 100 degrees and idle to 2k, any thing over that it will get to 210 but not move(at least on mine) on low, I usually use high when I need it to cool fast or when I am in the desert or hwy(I don't see much highway anymore0 bombing along at a good clip.

You need one 75/80 amp relay for high and one 30 amp relay for low. I use two switches, one for instant on, off and one for low, off, high plus a sensor backup for instant on in case I forget to turn it on. I also run it through a 200amp manual reset breaker, this way I know its off if i am working in the area and dont want any surprise fan turn on.

its a close fit for a stock located motor/water pump pulley and the fan in a cj5

Heres a picture of how my relay setup looks

great tips from everyone (soory to hijack thread) but WheelingPiazza do you have more info on the solenoid, switches and sensors you used?

the KISS is a good write up but would be good to see a more advanced one like yours.