Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Got the timing cover off of 360, what should I do while Im
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got the timing cover off of 360, what should I do while Im

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum

Got the timing cover off of 360, what should I do while Im

...In there

87 J20 with about 70K on it, never been apart before, I actually have to pull the balancer and cover yet, but felt like it might have slack in the timing chain when I set it on TDC.

A few times cold the oil pressure was at the high end of the factory guage running the AMC HD oil, not sure if this is an issue or not, I need to read up on this, sounds like 87 may/may not have the bypass spring.

Put a flowkooler water pump on it last year, ran a little on the warm side a coupple times, I found seepage at the stat gasket, pulled that and found the stat comming apart, so I got that solved.

I don't put a ton of miles on this truck, but use it as a tow rig at times in the summer, so it gets worked hard once in a while.
    parting several FSJ'S

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    You could pull the cam and install a RV camshaft
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    You could pull the cam and install a RV camshaft
    I thought about it, but I need to stick to maintence issues mostly. It's been in the shop since mid November and I just got to work on it a coupple saturdays since then. Also I thought I'd have a little more money to stick into it, but it looks like we'll be refinancing the house so I got to come up with closing costs, it will be worth it though We'll save enough so I may get my shop built sooner.

So I guess I'm mostly looking to take care of anything that will be good PM while I got it torn apart.
    parting several FSJ'S

Well id say the big things to take care off are to change the chain and leave stock cam b/c of having to pull intake and valve covers but do change the pan gasket and the rear main if you get bored and i would for sure re-use the w/p and f/p.....remember the old saying don't fix it if it ain't broke
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Quote Originally Posted by 76-cj7
    Well id say the big things to take care off are to change the chain and leave stock cam b/c of having to pull intake and valve covers but do change the pan gasket and the rear main if you get bored and i would for sure re-use the w/p and f/p.....remember the old saying don't fix it if it ain't broke
    WP is a year old flowkooler, fuel pump maybe 2 years old, I think I'll do the chain, check all the timing cover/pump stuff carfull while it's off.
    parting several FSJ'S

Take a close look at your cam and dizzy gears, maybe replace with the bulltear matched gears while your in there, just for pv.

Got the cover off last saturday, the chain is loose for sure, have not had a chance to check the cover much yet, dist gears look ok.
    parting several FSJ'S

Still have not ordered parts for this, and I had to borrow the LF axle shaft out of it for my plow truck back in FEB looking for input on what timing chain I should get...

this one...

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/cartgenie/...?pid=845&cid=3

or just a standard replacement set?
    parting several FSJ'S

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    I like the rollmaster billet set.

Quote Originally Posted by 76-cj7
    remember the old saying don't fix it if it ain't broke
    That old saying doesn't apply to Jeeps. The correct saying for Jeeps is..."If it ain't broke, fix it until it is!"