Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
tearing her down.... - Page 2
Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tearing her down....

She had a bad battery cable. At some point, it got too close to the manifolds.

BUT...it RUNS. It RUNS! Woohoo! It hasn't fired since the last weekend of October. Open headers are LOUD!

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    very loud EH!! I started mine with open headers and in the closed garage I didnt wanna rev her cause it almost hurt to listen to it, so I took it round the block a few times sure as hell sounded meen though!

Well, the chit hit the fan tonight. We tq'd the heads exactly as per instructions. Ended at 110 ft/lbs. I used the blue FeltPro gasket kit. This is one of the many places that have weeps of coolant.

Sooo...
    1. leaking head gaskets
    2. brakes now leak like a sieve (from the MC)
    3. hydro steering leaks more than brakes
    4. Tranny/t-case issues. Even with the tranny in park, I can push it around the garage.

I need a beer.

So, what's the next step? Should I retry these gaskets, just tq'd down to 130? New gaskets? ROLs?

BTW, this is a quick vid on the second startup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbk4IrrVBAY

did you have the block milled with the heads? I would try a different gasket

No. Block stayed in the truck. Forgot to say this, but the block was cleaned with green scotchbright pads, then brake cleaner to get the last of the residue.

dan58......dont feel bad i had the same problem with victor reinz (spelling?) head gaskets and after a few days running them it sealed up and stopped leakin............all hope isnt lost yet so dont give up! just run it around after you get the other issues fixed
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Quote Originally Posted by 76-cj7
    dan58......dont feel bad i had the same problem with victor reinz (spelling?) head gaskets and after a few days running them it sealed up and stopped leakin............all hope isnt lost yet so dont give up! just run it around after you get the other issues fixed
    The best I can do is let it idle. The tranny issue keeps it from moving anywhere (trail rig only). How did it seal itself? From my understanding, it's a one shot deal right from the start. It's either sealed, or it isn't.

Mine had seeped on both sides....passenger above the motor mount and driver right after motor mount and after driving it some it stopped and hasnt leaked since although i did have to re-do the intake due to warped intake and them shitty valley pans
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)
    I've always sprayed the steel side of the Fel-Pros with Copper Coat.
    Doesn't it say something about that on the head gasket package paper tag ?

Also fill radiator first time with just strait water for break-in run
    until everything has heat cycled and hopefully sealed up.

Don't think I'd torque beyond #110.
    '69 AMX #11,856 BSO/Saddle 343-4V Auto Go-Pak A/C Leather
    http://home.fuse.net/ckthomas/AMXSIG5.jpg

Things can seal up as they heat and cool a few times. I think the gasket compresses slightly more as the engine cycles a few times. Now that I think about it I had some leakage problems too and they sealed up after about two weeks