Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another cam gear failure

New gear on the cam failed. 20 minutes of run time, backfire and quit. The distributor gear looks fine, the cam gear furballed. Crown gears. Did a redneck hardness test with a scribe. Dealer gear didn't get scratched, Crown gear has deep scratch.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    There are 3-4 different known "flavors" of cam/dist gears out there. Each have a slightly different hardness and pitch to the gears. They should ALWAYS be replaced in matched pairs, otherwise the mesh may not be right, and you end up with one eating the other.

Bulltear has new AMERICAN MADE sets. Get them at the e-store.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

order sent.

dizzy disaster

i had this happen with a msd pro-billet the one thing i didnt notice at first is the dizzy would wobble when it was running if you see it wobbling at all shut it down mine ate its lunch the day before leaving for moab it was within 20 miles of installing it and drove it home i got 100 yards from home and it popped backfired and quit dizzy gear was fine cam gear was junk

Dont feel too bad maccj5...........my msd did the exact same except it last a few weeks or a couple hundred miles before it pooped.....took a old shitty chipped dist gear tossed it on just so i could drive it home and have said the hell with it and havent touched since and its running grrreat!
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!