Bulltear Ad

Thread: freshly rebuilt 360

Bulltear forum member Cook

freshly rebuilt 360

Hi. i am reabuilding a 360. Everything is brand new inside. So my question is : To break in the cam i have to run 2000 rpm for 20 min right , but what about the rest of the engine ? It sounds risky to run 2000 for 20 min with a brand new engine , or is it ok to do this?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Not a problem. Run 20 minutes at 2000, then change oil. For the first 500 miles you don't want to lug the engine or run any distance at a steady speed. After 200 or so a short WOT won't hurt it, just don't run past red line. After 500 miles, change oil again.

Be sure to add a cam break in lube from Crane or GM EOS for both cam break in and the first 500 miles.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bulltear forum member Cook
    ok. I use the lube that come with the performer cam sett , i belive it will do the job , dont you? What do you mean by "lug the engine? and "both cam break in ?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    You need the assembly lube, but you also need an additive to the oil. Todays oil formulations just don't have enough zinc and other additives to protect the cam lobes during break in. What you smear on while assembling it is gone in the first minute of running.

I meant to use an additive during the 20 minute cam break in and during the first 500 miles you run it (at least).

Lugging the engine is running it at a low RPM with a load on it. Like being in 4th gear at just above idle.

I used GM EOS (engine oil supplement) during the break in of my 390. It's worth the peace of mind to add it for the first couple of oil changes.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford