Thread: axle swap /interchange in gr chk rear end(dana35)

axle swap /interchange in gr chk rear end(dana35)

Are axles interchangeable ? Just trying to learns some ins and outs of this jeep repair. My thought was to buy two salvage yard axles (cheap @$20 each) clean them up and put on new bearings etc for replacement of existing axles that have noisy bearings or is it easier to just fix what I have? There is a time factor figured in due to lack of another vehicle and my mechanic is a little slow! so I thought the axles would be ready before he is.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    find one with the tow package as they have a much stronger chrysler rear end. If you can find one it should bolt right in place of your 35 and will last a lot longer. Just make sure the gear ratios are the same or re gear so they match.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    There are 2 "flavors" of the model 35, one with C-clips and one without. On the non-C axles, the bearings are pressed onto the axle. On the C-clip type, the bearing is pressed into the housing. You can switch axles of the same type, but you can't switch between C and non-C. Which ones you have will depend on the year.

It never hurts to carry spares if you off-road.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford