Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fiberglass tubs lifting and safety

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum

fiberglass tubs lifting and safety

any tricks for installing a fiberglass tub on a 1976 cj5 in regards to what type of mounts are best ? can I use a body lift on a fiberglass tub if so how much is max and lastly what about making the roll bar functional thanks :razz:

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    for the rollbar to be functional it has to be tied into the frame at all mounting points.

lift

3 inches is generally the most body lift you ever use, less is better. I used one of the poly kits on my 7 and a 4wd hardware glass body. The biggest job was leveling it on the frame, some of the mounts needed a couple of inches while others used less. Plus the front mounts were so flimsy I got a friend to fab up an aluminum brace which was bolted to the firewall and extended under the front. If you are into trimming the fender wells for more tire clearance most glass bodies will allow some trimming of the rear wells.
    84 CJ 7 304, Arb rear, 35 BFG,s with a 2 1/2 spring lift only and to many other mods to list, plus a offroad trailer also on 35 BFG,s

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    If the Jeep is used off-road, limit body lift to 1", any more and the body starts to rock on the lift pucks. The best way is the Daystar urethane mounts with a built-in 1" body lift.

To tie the roll bar to the frame, I used 3" wide, 3/16" thick plate under the rear fender, full length of the fender. Be sure that the edges above and below don't line up, or it becomes a shear and could cut thru the body under pressure. I fabbed a couple of mounts to the frame (be sure the wheel doesn't contact under compression), then used 2"x.120" wall tubing from the frame to the plate under the fender. The front of my cage is tied to the frame and rock sliders, again with home made mounts.

Mine held up to a light upside down roll, the only thing damaged was the windshield and windshield frame. No damage (other than paint) to the body itself.

Hugh, I also have a 4WD Hardware body (built in 198. I didn't have any problem with leveling, all the mounts were good. I agree the front mounts are too flimsy, after a couple of years I cut the fiberglass mount out and replaced it with a steel replica. I did have to add a plate under the factory driver seat base because one leg pushed thru the glass after several years of abuse.

Don't forget thet you need to add ground wires to the harness for headlights, tail lights, and any ignition parts (ecu, voltage reg, etc).

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

wow thanks for all the info

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    One thing about this group... There is a Butt load of knowledge on this site.. along with a great group..

Could you imagine if we all lived close enough to go wheeling on the weekends and hang out at each others garage?
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

I think you all would love my garage its got a 1976 cj5 in one bay and a 68 rambler american in the other

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    My garage is 4 car. Jeep, AMX, Motorcycle, and 2 spare AMC engines take up 3 bays. The wife's Blazer gets the 4th. My pickup sits outside.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

garage

For mine the 84 CJ7 gets the heated garage, the wifes 2001 Grand sits outside under the carport and I'm trying to wrangle a deal on an older 4wd Commanche.
    84 CJ 7 304, Arb rear, 35 BFG,s with a 2 1/2 spring lift only and to many other mods to list, plus a offroad trailer also on 35 BFG,s

The nice things about jeeps is you can pack them in a garage really tight. i have a deep three car garage and had 5 vehicles in there. unfortunately the wife made me sell some.
    Nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently tallented fool!