Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
77 CJ7 Power Steering Pulley
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 77 CJ7 Power Steering Pulley

77 CJ7 Power Steering Pulley

Good Afternoon,

Would anyone happen to know where I can purchase a new power steering pulley for a 77 CJ7 with the 304 setup?

I've replaced the stock saginaw pump with an AGR Super pump (externally it's the same).

My old pulley is apparently bent. When I fire the motor up, you can see the pulley wobbling, and I really would prefer NOT to ruin this new pump.

Any info that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aubrey

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    All the AMC cars, trucks, Jeeps are the same from about 75 or 76 up to 91 except the small Cherokee.

I know I don't have a spare, but you should be able to grab one off any Grand Wagoneer at a boneyard. It does take a special tool to pull and replace them properly, you should be able to borrow or rent one at a local parts store.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thanks for the reply tufcj.

I know on my 87 wrangler, the belt is a serpentine, so, that's a no go.

Do you happen to know if this is the same pully that was used on most V8 Chevrolet's from the 70's through mid 80's?

I've already contacted Summit Racing and March Performance pulley's and they weren't sure.

I've also talked to Bulltear. He has every other pully imaginable for the AMC engine, except the power steering.

I would preferrably like to purchase a new one, just to make sure it's not warped.

Thanks for any additional info anyone could provide.....

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I should have said all the V-belt pulleys are the same. I don't know about Chevy. They use the same pump so it would fit the shaft, but the offset on the pulleys may be different.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    They come up on ebay from time to time. Also the Chrysler dealer still lists them for about $99.00.

I thought I read on here some time ago somebody fitted a Chevy pulley and it had the same offset. Might be worth confirming.

Just don't get suckered into using a double pulley with two different diameter pulleys on it like we did. We thought the smaller diameter pulley would make the steering pump spin faster at the lower speeds often encountered off-roading. That is true, but the downside is the smaller diameter pulley gives much less belt contact, and we couldn't stop the belt from slipping. We had to replace it with one with equal size pulleys.

Note: I've tried and tried to get the above pic to show. I don't know why it won't. I even pasted it into one of my posts over on JU to see if it would work, and it showed up just fine.

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    Here ya go.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    When I had to replace my pump housing and pulley (pump reservoir had a hole in it) I got a whole unit off a 77 Monty Carlo from the boneyard and swapped in my AGR pump and put the new pully on it. AZ had the pully =D> puller/presser tools.
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

[quote="hotratz"]Here ya go.

Thanks for the help with the picture. I wanted to show that pulley with the two different diameters. Don't even know what it came off of. I had a bunch of steering pumps laying around and it was on one of them. Someone said it may have been for an A.I.R. pump belt.

Like I said though, it didn't work out. Not enuff belt contact and couldn't keep the belt from slipping.

We picked up a puller set for the power steering pulley at Harbor Freight. It was dirt cheap and works great. Would have spent more in gas borrowing and returning one from one of the parts houses that loans them out.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by 1980_Cj7
    We picked up a puller set for the power steering pulley at Harbor Freight. It was dirt cheap and works great. Would have spent more in gas borrowing and returning one from one of the parts houses that loans them out.
    That's an option too, but it's fun just to jump on the bike and ride the 1.25 miles for me I guess I'm lucky that I have 6 parts stores and 3 tire dealers within 3 miles me
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE