Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Waggy hood
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waggy hood

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS

Waggy hood

Ok on the 'new' 86 Grand Wag, it looks like there is something missing on the hood side of the hinges. Is it supposed to be spot welded or glued??

It pops and hangs in the middle when I open it up.

Larger Drivers side

Larger passenger side
    " 的t is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

id say the hood has been tweaked by wind or something that looks like it should be bent up with the curve of the hood
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

But it sits square when it's down and latched
    " 的t is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    That's a common problem on these hoods, either poped up in the wind like noted above, or it happens when the hinges get stiff and are forced open. Some of them may have been glued I have not been paying attention to the ones I'm normally under. I have a 63 Jtruck here that I'm storring for someone and that one has more bracing than any of the newer ones I've seen not sure if that helps this issue or not. If everything else is ok on that hood maybe try to work them back in place and find something to glue them with, I don't think welding is an option as it would dammage/distort the outter skin, which could be the reason they are not attached as you stated this one still looks fine from the outside, had they been attached solid it may have just pulled the outter skin with it when this happened.
    parting several FSJ'S

Thanks,

Any solutions to the problem in your memory bank? Seems like a big gap to try and clamp and weld - at least 3 inches!!!
    I'll get to it eventially, so it's not critical to get it running, but working right is the long term goal. Pix would be a bonus of course.

Appreciate the help.

Also, the link in your sig doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by mrtazwrench
    That's a common problem on these hoods, either poped up in the wind like noted above, or it happens when the hinges get stiff and are forced open. Some of them may have been glued I have not been paying attention to the ones I'm normally under. I have a 63 Jtruck here that I'm storring for someone and that one has more bracing than any of the newer ones I've seen not sure if that helps this issue or not. If everything else is ok on that hood maybe try to work them back in place and find something to glue them with, I don't think welding is an option as it would dammage/distort the outter skin, which could be the reason they are not attached as you stated this one still looks fine from the outside, had they been attached solid it may have just pulled the outter skin with it when this happened.
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

I think the usual fix was to find a different hood. The link was to a pic of my 87 J20, I lost it when fullsizejeeps.com hosting site folded, just removed the link.
    parting several FSJ'S

I think the usual fix was to find a different hood. The link was to a pic of my 87 J20, I lost it when fullsizejeeps.com hosting site folded, just removed the link.
    There's got to be away to fix it!! I'll keep looking. Thanks
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

I'm not saying you have to find another hood, I've never had to repair any of mine and have had a few hood shoppers check out what I got in stock.
    parting several FSJ'S

I'm not saying you have to find another hood, I've never had to repair any of mine and have had a few hood shoppers check out what I got in stock.
    Where would I look for what you have in stock?
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

I need to see what I got out back, I'm sure any of them would need a full repaint, but the hinge mounting area might still be strait. Shipping would be a killer unless you're over here in MN sometime.
    parting several FSJ'S