Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1977 jeep buildup

1977 jeep buildup

Hello All,

Ok, I updated the website from pictures of what I've done this year. You can see in the later pictures, the dash that I've assembled and the heater cables missing.

So close to being finished, yet still so far..............

http://www.meangreenjeep.com
    ----------------------------------------
    www.meangreenjeep.com
    Aubrey

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    Pretty fine!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Nice Vett ... 76?

Other than that, GREAT project!! I really like what you're doing and the workmanship. Sorry about the control cables though

I got different WARN sliders that didn't have hte notch and it's caused me some greif on the YJ. I built my own for the CJ to compensate for the flairs.
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thanks for the response.

The vette is a 69 convertable with a 427.

I hit a small setback on Thursday. After MUCH deliberation and pondering, I decided to redo my bottom end setup.

I've ordered a set of currie Ford 9 inch differentials with 4.56 gears to swap out the existing diffs. I'm also going to change out my quadratrac transfer case for an Atlas II 4.3:1.

I originally had no intentions of going this drastic with the jeep, so I started with the bottom end, and worked my way up. I ended up with much larger tires than I originally planned for (I first purchased 31's, then went to 33's and finally stuck with 35's)(sad part is, the jeep has only been out of the garage once, and that was to push to the back yard for the body install).

With the 360 having dyno'd out at 408 HP, I've finally concluded that I was going to end up destroying that AMC 20 rear diff.

Now, I feel confident that this should be a fairly bullet-proof jeep / trail rig. I really don't plan on doing any hard rock-crawling with it, so hopefully I shouldn't ever experience any issues.

Thanks again for all the responses and if anyone has any clues on where to locate the heater cables for this monster (even used ones would be VERY appreciated and I would expect to financially compensate anyone who can assist me with this) I could finally finish this thing.

Aubrey
    www.meangreenjeep.com
    Aubrey

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    I bought new heater cables for my cj5. www.jeepdoc.com has good prices, also check evilbay. Nice Jeep! What's the color?

cables

http://www.gemini-sales.com/
    Try these guys, they have lots of parts. Maybe consider making your own cables, a good bicycle shop or old time motorcycle shop should have bulk cable with all the ends and ferrules, etc you need to fab up a cable.
    84 CJ 7 304, Arb rear, 35 BFG,s with a 2 1/2 spring lift only and to many other mods to list, plus a offroad trailer also on 35 BFG,s

The color of the jeep is an olive drab green from a 1998 GMC Fleet Vehicle. We took the color codes and flattened it out a bit (too glossy for me).

My original intention was to have the entire body powder coated, but, after the media blasting, I realized that I couldn't.

So, I took the jeep down to the Maaco in Austin, had them prep the metal, and shoot it. We also laid down bed liner on the inside of the tub (black) and the sprayed the entire underneath of the tub with bed liner that was dyed to match the paint (green).

I've found a few places now that could make the cable's for me if I could provide the correct diminsions. I have a couple of companies attempting to find me a used set of cables, that I could use to get the specs from.

This is something that I had no earthly idea that would be the entire hold-up of the project (heater cables).

Eventually I plan on creating a journal for the website that can detail all of the shi - wait - work I went through in this project.

I purchased the jeep on the day before Thanksgiving in 2003, got it home the day after Thanks giving 2003 (Friday), drove it saturday and sunday, and finally, on Monday, disassembled the entire jeep (every freaking bolt).

Now, over 5 years later, I'm so close to being done, I can taste it.

I'll keep you updated on how it's going.

Thanks again.
    www.meangreenjeep.com
    Aubrey

Did you get a HP 9? I'd be very wary if you got a Currie HP9 in the front. It's not going to handle that sort of power. In the rear, a LP 9 is the only way to go (unless you get a tru Hi9). With the LP, you'll need to point it up a bit for pinion angle.

Hey dan58.

No, I didn't go with the HP9 because of the potential clearance issue with the driveshaft and oilpan.

I'm using one of bulltear's .100 thick 7.5 quart oilpans and, from what the guy at currie told me, that I might even experience clearance issue with the stock pan. So, they did NOT reccomend that for the front.

I was told that I should have the diff's here in about 3 weeks, so hopefully that should be the incentive to complete this thing.

I believe I'm going to go with the Atlas II 4.3 case and use cable shifters vs stick.
    www.meangreenjeep.com
    Aubrey

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Probably too late for you, but since I had the option when I went to the fiberglass body on my 77, I went with the 78-up heater. Requires that you cut a hole in the firewall for the fan motor, and new holes for the heater hoses. I also like the fresh air vent. I got the whole thing for free from a guy stripping a Jeep for a SCORE racer.

I looked to see if I still had the early heater and cables, but I don't .

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford