Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
another 401 build
Bulltear Ad

Thread: another 401 build

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)

another 401 build

Well it finally happened i sucked a valve in the old 360 in my cj so......... time to dig another 401 out and do a build. I've been procrastinating on this for along time, but ive been scrounging up parts one piece here and there. i wasn't quite there yet with parts and i really needed to get my heep back on the road so a buddy of mine from Sacramento volunteered his 401 that we built a few years ago for my rig so i could get my cj back up and running and then in exchange he gets the motor i was going to build.

The rig the new motor is going into is a 74 J4000 with D44 and D60 power loks front and rear and a 79 frame underneith it. white and an old louvered hood.

he was going to go stick again with a close ratio tranny but autos are too much fun on the sand. and this one is destined for a life with paddles and high flying fun.

He just built a fairly wicked TH400 he installed straight cut gears from a TH475 to help bolster any weak points and an Art Carr valve body. its married to a Dana 20, has a bulltear th400/D20 adapter and it has an oldschool housing girdle on the Dana 20 case and a AA 32 spline output on the D20. anyone getting where this is going.

So heres the scoop on the motor:

We just got the engine short block back from the machine shop.

its .030 over i already had speed pros, so its getting speed pros. fully balanced and blue printed it has ARP studs ont he bottom end and ARP bolts for the rods. crome moly rings

it already was setup with a lifter valley oil bypass so its keeping that. and it has the nickle coated timing cover, mid plate and gear set from bulltear. Ray couldnt resist so he stole my billet timing gear set ive had hanging in the garage for forever, though there were serious descussions about a gear drive for the motor.

Cam currently under consideration is a .512/.512 226/226 on a 112 but thats just because i have it and its free. more specs to follow once i get to see the card again. but thats hydraulic, he's thinking seriously about digging an old mechanical bumpstick out. but thats his part on this he'll order his own cam most likely and go big if he does it. I stole his torquer for my current motor in my cj so most likely im going to have to buy him another torquer. so single plane for the intake on the new motor

MC is doing my heads, i sent him off 2 sets. 1 set was an older set of 291's IIRC they had stock rocker arm studs with the exhaust and intake ports mildly gasket matched but the guides were just buggerd and the seats were beat out of a few of the valves, the other set was a set of bridged heads with nothing done and i think he opted to guide me in the direction of the bridge heads and toss those old buggered heads best to have options. anyways he' was setting em up w/ guideplates and for roller rockers, we've got some crane gold 1.6's that ought to do the trick.....

To top it all off it will be blessed with an old predator carb. nothing like a toilet bowl to suck the fuel down. Custom headers from years past i believe with 1-7/8 or 1-3/4 tubes. Dual 3" pipes. This jeep once housed a 500hp 7000 rpm 390, the 390 would be a fun build but it did its time and stayed together... the truck's being brought out of mothballs 20 years later to make aother go at it witha 401 this time

details to follow. from what he told me April 19th hes hoping to assemble the bottom end

Ray if you are reading this which i imagine you are, you are not getting my 7+ qt bull tear oil pan no matter how much you want it. mines going on my (your old) 401.
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    I got confused as to what's going where and in which truck for who

In any case, good luck with your build/builds and engines

And as always, PIX ARE A PLUS
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

i have CJ

ray has the truck

I blew up my 360 in my cj

ray had a 401 we built 2 years ago doing nothing in his garage

i had a virgin short block and lots of goodies, ray really wanted to build a sand rig out of that old jeep truck that he used to use on the dunes

he gave me his 401 for my jeep to replace the 360

I gave him my razoo goodies, and the virgin 401 after a little machine woork and minus the heads from MC at least until mc gets a chance to rifle tham off to me. So ray will be doing the build i'll get pictures and forward them onto this thread

Sorry i get really excited some times when we do one of these builds and the thoughts dont get clearly communicated.

rest assured i'll edit my post and clean it up as i get myself slowed down
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

Member #377

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    I so want to see a J4000 on paddles and flying through the air.. I have a J-10 and I can't imagine what a landing would be like in that!! (Holy Flying buildings BATMAN!! a Peterbilt would be slightly more impressive flying through the air.. but not by a lot!)
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/att...8&d=1040145534

thats not his but sure is a piece of history

Member #377

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    I used to get my truck washed at that truck wash.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Dave said we should put it in a Gremlin

Member #377