Thread: tranny problems

tranny problems

Ok a couple of questions. My 83 jeep waggy's P.O. changed a couple of things, first he bypassed the radiator and just ran the trans fluid thru a small cooler. He also had a little baby radiator installed. Radiator has been changed to a better aftermarket one. Problem is the trans fluid is now boiling not just hot but boiling out of it.The trans is also making this awful
    sound kinda like a hone being run in a hole to big for it.I have already reran the trans fluid thru the rad, but still have trans fluid coming out of the bottom of the trans. Thinking about changing to a standard ,what would be the best one to go too?

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    t18 or one of the truck 5 speeds with OD NV4500 or something like that. depends on what your doing and if you need a deep first and OD

Ok new problem now anytime i drive over ten minutes the jeep catches on fire. There seems to be trans fluid running from between the engine and trans. What could be leaking in there? Dont have the time or extra cash right now for the standard transmission swap.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    torque converter and front seal. chances are good that they have hardened over time and have cracked. drop the tranny and pull the converter to find the problem.

The trans stator has bound up and is causing fluid to back up in the cooling line, which makes it even hotter.