Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
360 With 258 Flywheel

Thread: 360 With 258 Flywheel

360 With 258 Flywheel

G'Day

I am after some advice on putting a 258 flywheel on a 360.Please and mate it to my T176 gearbox
    My problem is in Australia a 360 Jeep with a manual is very rare, and trying to source a 360 flywheel is impossible in Australia
    I know the 360 is externally balanced and the 258 is internally balanced.
    But I have heard that a 258 flywheel can be used on a 360 if it is balanced for a 360,

Can someone give me some advice please on what is actually done to the 258 flywheel as I would like to let the machine shop know what exactly has to be done to the 258 Flywheel

Cheers

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    You mean as far as how the weights are set on the balance. I dont have that info but I think someone here may.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Welcome to Bulltear.

Do you have the 360 flexplate? You could take the 258 flywheel and 360 flexplate to a machine shop and have the flywheel "match balanced" to the flexplate. I think the 258 flywheels were drilled for a smaller clutch than the V-8s.

Brand new 360 balanced flywheels are being sold on eBay for around $125, not sure what shipping to Australia might cost though.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tufcj
    Welcome to Bulltear.

Do you have the 360 flexplate? You could take the 258 flywheel and 360 flexplate to a machine shop and have the flywheel "match balanced" to the flexplate. I think the 258 flywheels were drilled for a smaller clutch than the V-8s.

Brand new 360 balanced flywheels are being sold on eBay for around $125, not sure what shipping to Australia might cost though.

Bob
    tufcj
    They may as well dropship from China
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thanks for the replies guys, Much appreciated

I am not sure if I still have the 360 flex plate, I will look in the morning and see,
    Never thought of taking a 360 flex plate and the 258 flywheel to machine shop and get them to match the balance that way,

Not to keen on the fleabay thing, been to a few USA based retailers sites to check for new 360 flywheels, but many don't ship outside the USA 48 states or they have a minimum $500 US purchase for international orders, I tried Quadratrec for one, but I am still waiting for a reply email from them, and that was 3 weeks ago.

The Aussie CJ10 I have is hard to get parts, because it is a hybrid, it has a SJ chassis and a body similar to a CJ8, and the fenders and lights are unique to the CJ10, and me trying to fit a 360 and manual in it, makes it even uniquer

I am in the process of converting it from a 258 to a 360 and thats another problem all on it's own with the body and chassis dimensions
    Do I do the conversion via FSJ info or CJ info

Cheers for the advice

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    if the body is the same or close the cj8 then i would start out in that direction. Here the cj10's were mostly used for airport tugs and had 3/4 or 1 ton running gear I think.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman_gq
    if the body is the same or close the cj8 then i would start out in that direction. Here the cj10's were mostly used for airport tugs and had 3/4 or 1 ton running gear I think.
    AND they all had NISSAN SD33 diesels in them TOO!

Mine had originally a 258, I gather a few in Australia came out with Nissan Ud motor motor I Think,

So the general consensus is to take the 258 Flywheel and a 360 flex plate to the machine shop and get them to match the balance of the flex plate to the flywheel? Or try and source a 360 flywheel from the USA.

One thought I had is the 360 torque converter part of the external balance of a 360 motor?
    This would throw a spanner in the works if it is part of the 360 external balance

I have had another thought on the 258 flywheel, would it be possible to take my 258 flywheel and 360 crank , pistons, rods, and Harmonic balancer to a machine shop and balance the the whole rotating assembly as one unit, Would this get rid of the external balance issue of the 360 ?

Cheers for the input guys

Here is a couple of pics, I am slowly doing a restoration on the CJ10.
    I temporarily have the 360 fitted with the 258 flywheel so I could do the engine mounts and cross member

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    If you plan on rebuilding the 360, having it balanced is probably the best solution. A shop will probably just add and/or remove weight from the flywheel, and it would still be externally balanced.

In order to internally balance it, usually a heavy metal (Mallory) is added to the crank, and that can get VERY expensive.

Looking good on the resto.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford