Thread: AW-4 problems

AW-4 problems

AW-4 in my 96' cherokee is acting up on me. When cold shifts perfectly fine until everything reaches norm. temp and then wont shift out of 1st unless you play with the throttle and when it does shift 9 times out of 10 it will skip 2nd and go straight to 3rd. Overdrive and lock-up functions are smooth no matter when being drove. Does anybody have any ideas what would cause this and what the fix would be??? It all started when i changed the filter and fluid and it seems to be ok for about 25 miles each time fluid is changed out....has me puzzled but have not talked to a shop yet. Was hoping there would be a cheaper fix Ideas anybody?
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Well.....swapped out no.1 and no.1 solenoids cause no.2 was showing to be at fault which did nothing for me. Starting to think it may be just be time to swap in a 5-speed and be done with it
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

You can find AW-4s all over the place, so I'd just swap one in for it. Was it high mileage unit? Sometimes, it's best not to change fluid on those old ones if it hasn't been changed in a long time.

Well theres no way in hell id toss another auto in it but i did find a 5-speed cherokee in a junkyard and 500 bucks for everything ill need is a pretty damn good deal. But for some odd ass, out of the blue, no idea why reason, my trans started shiftin perfectly fine today right as soon as i left the junkyard

Late but I'll toss something out for future reference.
    A failing throttle position sensor or one that has taken in water will drive the shifting nuts on an AW-4.

Well im glad you spoke up ol' school. I have noticed a dead spot at certain times like a bad tps would do. But a buddy of mine has a Snap-On scanner and we checked it while it was doing the funky shifting and it seemed to read properly without any dead spots