Thread: JEEP 4.0 to amc th400

JEEP 4.0 to amc th400

Can anyone tell me if the 4.0 will bolt to the amc th400.Or where there is an adapter to do this.I thought someone told me that it would work a long time ago but I'm not sure.

Also need to know weather the 4.2 intake manifold will bolt on the 4.0. Thinking about saying goodbye to the 360 and building a 4.6 stroker with my propane set up.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it had a 258 or a V8 on it, it will, the crank sensor is in the bell housing so it needs to be modified to accept it or moved to the front of the engine, modified dampener required for that.
    The intake dowels are in a different location on the 4.0 head so they must be relocated to use an early manifold, and you must retain the 4.0 header as the exhaust will not interchange.

The 4.0L flexplate won't work on the TH400 and the TH400 flexplate won't have the tome ring for the EFI. You need the balancer CPS kit.

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    If you are converting a 4.2 intake to a 4.0 head, I am assuming you are not running an EFI setup. So I don't see a problem with using a 258 flexplate and bolting up a TH400. The 1996 and later 4.0 block would be what I would use. It is suppossed to have thicker main webs and a main stud girdle. A 12 weight 258 crank will give you better torque. Check out www.jeepstrokers.com There is a lot of info there.